Question

Intern
thdetdestro
Message 1 of 6 (168 Views)

New Laptop battery plugged in but not charging

[ Edited ]

HP ENVY m6-1158ca

Windows 8

I recently bought a new laptop from Best Buy, my first time I actually bought something from them.

My laptop's battery occationally refuses to charge, it will say plugged in, not charging and the battery will drain out.

I've done the battery test through the hp diagostics and it shows that the battery is fine and at 96%.

I've tested the removing unpluging power procedure, it did help but the problem would return every time I used the battery and then plugged it in. I've taken out the battery for use now since I'm worried the problem may escalate if I keep the battery in, when I took the battery out it was overheating and I'm not sure if a battery is supposed to heat up or if thats a bad sign. However I don't think it's the battery it's self since the diagostics came up with ok.

Since it was my first time buying something from Best Buy I didn't know that they didn't include the warranty so this laptop doesn't have warranty. However I know HP has warranty for this laptop but I don't know the procedures for sending the laptop in or would that be not needed?  Please and thank you ahead of time for your help.

edit: noticed I missed some important words

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 2 of 6 (142 Views)

Re: New Laptop battery plugged in but not charging

Hello thedetdestro,

You can take a look at this document, and see if anything within helps, otherwise I think calling in and speaking to a rep is the best thing to do.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, begin Here.

Please let me know if this helps.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Intern
thdetdestro
Message 3 of 6 (128 Views)

A new problem has arisen the laptop will occationally shutdown on it's own when plugged into only ac without the battery.

I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with the power supply of this laptop in general. I'll probably call the official HP support as soon as I can.

Intern
thdetdestro
Message 4 of 6 (120 Views)

I reached step 3 where I need to charge the laptop and it won't go higher than 0 %
Intern
thdetdestro
Message 5 of 6 (116 Views)

I got the battery to charge by removing the battery unpluging it and replacing the battery back in and then plugging it back in, I will still contact HP to see if there is anything wrong with my laptop or if it's normal.
Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 6 of 6 (101 Views)

Great job!  Thanks for updating your post. 

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation