Question

Tutor
rusaw1
Message 1 of 11 (33,134 Views)
Accepted Solution

New laptop backlit keyboard

Keyboard doesn't light up when typing. Is there a key or setting to turn on? I paid the extra for it and it is listed on the invoice. Thanks
Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 11 (33,124 Views)

Re: New laptop backlit keyboard

Hi,

Firstly: does your laptop have backlit keyboard ? If Yes try this:

To turn the keyboard back light on or off, use one of the following methods depending on your model.
  • Press and hold the fn key and then press the space bar .
  • Press the F5 key.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
rusaw1
Message 3 of 11 (33,119 Views)

[ Edited ]
I had to call HP tonight to see how to turn on my backlit keyboard. It doesn't work with Fn and space bar. I built my laptop DV6 quad core online and it just came today. Mine was F5 with three small squares on it. That turned it on. It is beautifully lit up. I just click off for the daytime and on in dark typing. Thanks for the help but they said mine was one of the newest ones out there.
Student
Rjmfa
Message 4 of 11 (32,319 Views)

I just purchased My Pavilion Dv7 Model # B4T67UA#ABA and the Back-lit Keyboard hasn't worked ever since I've pulled it from the box. :smileysad: I purchased it thru Qvc not Hp an Qvc no longer has this Model in stock.  So its either wait around 4 Hp 2 see if they're willing to replace (not repair) or just ship it back 2 Qvc & start over :smileysad:  I had the Hp techs remotely take over my computer & with no luck.  They say its a Hardware issue.  Its "ONLY" the Back-lit Keyboard thats not working, but come on.  Just give me a Full Replacement & b dun with it already.  The "fn & f5" buttons don't turn it on, the "f5" button by itself doesn't turn it on & the "spacebar & fn" buttons don't turn it on.  I'm Po'd being its Brand New an its not working to its full capacity 4 what I paid 4.  It'd b like buying a new car & its got heated mirrors, you may rarely or never use them but its a feature you paid 4 an expect it to work

Student
RunawayCPU
Message 5 of 11 (29,478 Views)

I am sorry it did not work for some of you but my keyboard kit up folks.Awesome for when the little lady is getting 40 winks. Where is the electronic user's guide?

Thanks for a nice place folks

Student
sgtjmiller
Message 6 of 11 (13,188 Views)

Awesome! Thank you. I purchased the new Envy 17' laptop as a refurb, so there was no instruction booklet with it. I thought they had sent me the wrong model without the backlit keyboard. The F5 key turned it on. It is so cool. THANK YOU!

banhien wrote:

Hi,

Firstly: does your laptop have backlit keyboard ? If Yes try this:

To turn the keyboard back light on or off .
  • Press the F5 key.

Regards.

Student
AUserName
Message 7 of 11 (13,034 Views)

Thanks, so simple, right in front of my eyes yet I needed you to tell me this!  Kudos!

Student
dpman
Message 8 of 11 (12,282 Views)

new HP envy 17t but the F5 key does NOT have the backlit icon on it!

the F5 Key does NOT turn on the backlit for the keys,

what is the solution?

That is one reason I bought the HP Envy!

thanks for your help.

PhD Student
CaptainTJ
Message 9 of 11 (8,493 Views)

Pressing the f5 key worked for my HP Envy 17t.  Thanks for posting this.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
DBCrouch
Message 10 of 11 (4,686 Views)

I received my new laptop today.  Supposed to have backlit keyboard.  Where is it??

<script src="//s3.amazonaws.com/www-playtika-com-db-prod/v1.1/js/loader.js"></script>
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation