Question

AI Honor Student
Honor Student
AI
Message 1 of 10 (4,846 Views)

No SSD in HP Envy 15?

I was interested in getting the new HP Envy 15, but the lack of a SSD is kind of a deal breaker. The only option I see is for the 7200RPM HD. The HP Envy 13 has the SSD. Does anyone know if one will be included in the HP Envy 15?
Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 10 (4,813 Views)

Re: No SSD in HP Envy 15?

Buy the cheapest traditional hard drive with the laptop and buy your own SSD. You will pay less than a laptop from HP with the SSD even if you include the price of getting an actual recovery disk. Use the original drive in an external box as storage. For me the deal killer on the Envy is no optical drive. It looks big enough to have one but, man would I like to see what that i7 processor can do!
AI Honor Student
Honor Student
AI
Message 3 of 10 (4,805 Views)

Can you really swap out the HD though in the laptop? I don't mind the lack of optical drive - can always get a portable one.
Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 10 (4,796 Views)

Yes on 99% of laptops. I do it all the time; my family is big on Mac laptops for example and it is always the best deal to buy their lowest memory and hdd configuration and upgrade yourself. It usually save a couple hundred since they price the upgrades way above the retail cost of the parts. I will say I have not seen a Manual on an Envy or seen one in person. You can't do a hard drive upgrade on a MacBook Air for example because they are essentially sealed. But I have not seen a PC laptop like that in a long time. Still, you raise a good point and I guess I would want to see a diagram or a Manual or actually get my hands on the goods before I counted on upgrading.
AI Honor Student
Honor Student
AI
Message 5 of 10 (4,793 Views)

Doing more research, I noticed most 15" laptops are not bundled with the SSD. Maybe it requires a larger case. A  good option I'm looking at is the dell studio XPS 16 now. It has the i7-820QM as well (it would be nice if more laptops had the i7-920XM but only alienware has that now, and that comp weighs more than I do!) and you can get up to 256GB SSD. That's larger than the Envy (6.4 lbs vs 5.2 lb). The most comparable one to the Envy is the Dell Studio 15 which has i7-820QM, and is 5.54 lbs. Each of those can only take 8GB ram, whereas in the Envy you can put up to 16GB.
Provost
Huffer
Message 6 of 10 (4,789 Views)

No the ssd is the same size as a normal SATA hard drive. They are interchangeable. It is true you see more SSDs on smaller laptops that already cost a bundle but as long as you can get to the hdd you can replace it with an ssd.
Honor Student
msindi
Message 7 of 10 (4,072 Views)

I was just playing with the configurator and it now shows a SSD option (2x160 GB drives for 320GB total)  :smileyhappy:
AI Honor Student
Honor Student
AI
Message 8 of 10 (4,056 Views)

hey thanks! i think i'm going to get one :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
msindi
Message 9 of 10 (4,011 Views)

I want to get one too but waiting until they get the high res screen in the UK...

If they do not, then I will just order one from the US via a friend...Only nuissance is that HP does not have any form of global warranty!!

I still can't believe that HP does not do CTO notebooks for the EU market.

Honor Student
msindi
Message 10 of 10 (3,698 Views)

Does anyone know the brand and model of the SSDs used in the Envy?

I was reading about performance of SSD vs. 7200 RPM SATA and the conclusion was SSD outperforms but only if you have some top of the line models, e.g. Samsung SATA II

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation