Question
Reply
 
Top Student
Lab7891
Posts: 9
Member Since: ‎07-31-2013
Message 1 of 9 (258 Views)

No bootable device problem

I recently had to upgrade the hard drive on my hp g60-118em as the old had a failure on the recovery partition. This was about 2 months and until recently, about 2 weeks ago, it was working fine. Now 9 out of 10 times I boot my Laptop it comes up saying "no bootable device insert boot disc and press any key". I have done all the tests possible and they all come up positive. I'm not too sure where to go from here!
Any help is appreciate.
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Posts: 4,472
Member Since: ‎10-09-2012
Message 2 of 9 (237 Views)

Re: No bootable device problem


Lab7891 wrote:
I recently had to upgrade the hard drive on my hp g60-118em as the old had a failure on the recovery partition. This was about 2 months and until recently, about 2 weeks ago, it was working fine. Now 9 out of 10 times I boot my Laptop it comes up saying "no bootable device insert boot disc and press any key". I have done all the tests possible and they all come up positive. I'm not too sure where to go from here!
Any help is appreciate.

Hello Lab7891.

Either the hard drive is experiencing another hard drive failure or the motherboard's hard drive controller is going bad.  I suggest you open the notebook and verify that the hard drive's connection to the motherboard is secure.

Let me know if that helps.  Have a great weekend!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Top Student
Lab7891
Posts: 9
Member Since: ‎07-31-2013
Message 3 of 9 (232 Views)

Re: No bootable device problem

Hard drive is fine as I've tried it on a friends laptop. I've opened the laptop up and the connection seems to be fine, so I'm not too sure what's wrong with it!
Top Student
Lab7891
Posts: 9
Member Since: ‎07-31-2013
Message 4 of 9 (226 Views)

Re: No bootable device problem

Update: I tried the memory and hard disk test again after disassembly and it passed the memory test but almost immediately failed the hard disk test.
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Posts: 4,472
Member Since: ‎10-09-2012
Message 5 of 9 (215 Views)

Re: No bootable device problem


Lab7891 wrote:
Update: I tried the memory and hard disk test again after disassembly and it passed the memory test but almost immediately failed the hard disk test.

Is your friend's notebook also an HP or does it have a built in hard drive test?  If you could test the hard drive from your friend's notebook that would help determine whether it is the hard drive that is going bad or the controller on the motherboard.

Let me know whether this is possible and have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Top Student
Lab7891
Posts: 9
Member Since: ‎07-31-2013
Message 6 of 9 (189 Views)

Re: No bootable device problem

Sorry for the late reply! ( was on holiday), It was acer laptop but i managed to do a hard disk test anyway and it came out fine so im assuming it must be a problem with the connection, how can i get this fixed?
Thanks, Lab!
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Posts: 4,472
Member Since: ‎10-09-2012
Message 7 of 9 (168 Views)

Re: No bootable device problem


Lab7891 wrote:
Sorry for the late reply! ( was on holiday), It was acer laptop but i managed to do a hard disk test anyway and it came out fine so im assuming it must be a problem with the connection, how can i get this fixed?
Thanks, Lab!

I would first try replacing the cable which connections the hard drive to the motherboard.  If that still does not resolve the issue then it is most likely the connector on the motherboard itself.  If that is the case it would require a motherboard replacement to remedy the problem.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any further questions!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Top Student
Lab7891
Posts: 9
Member Since: ‎07-31-2013
Message 8 of 9 (164 Views)

Re: No bootable device problem

Thanks for the help, I've decided to upgrade my laptop anyway given the condition of the current one but its nice to know what is wrong with it.
Thanks for the help! Lab.
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Posts: 4,472
Member Since: ‎10-09-2012
Message 9 of 9 (161 Views)

Re: No bootable device problem


Lab7891 wrote:
Thanks for the help, I've decided to upgrade my laptop anyway given the condition of the current one but its nice to know what is wrong with it.
Thanks for the help! Lab.

You're very welcome.  Make sure to pay the forums a visit in the future if you have more questions!

 

Have a wonderful day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation