Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi, okayy so this all started just today, but the day before the computer just wouldn't work right and i didn't know what to do with it because it would immediately go to a blue screen after login in my account or any account and then shut off then restart itself. Then today i tried turning it on and all i see is a black screen with typing on it then immediately goes to another black screen that says " Non-System disk error, replace and strike any key when ready" and i don't know what to do with it because it simply just won't do anything (it just stays on that black screen saying that) and im not a computer genious so i would really appreciate someone's help 🙂 Ohh and i have the HP ProBook 4425s just in case anyone needs to know.
46 REPLIES 46
HP Recommended

Its the hard drive. Likely needs replaced. Tap F10 as you power on and see if you can get into setup and there is a hard drive self-test you can run to confirm.

HP Recommended
Well i did the test and it just said it passed then i tried restarting it and tried pressing the F11 but it just won't do anything it's still stuck on the black screen page. So i guess i'll have to replace the hard drive or something but i don't know how? Or who should do it?
HP Recommended

If the drive passes the drive fitness test then it is not a mechanical problem with the hard drive....likely just corrupted software or maybe a more general hardware problem like bad memory. But it is unlikely you could have run through the hard drive test if the memory were bad. So I am going with the corrupted hard drive files theory. You can call HP and get a recovery disk for your laptop or just use the Key Code on the bottom to reinstall Windows 7 from any such disk. Some very pernicious viruses can cause issues like this. We are seeing a lot of rootkits these days and to get rid of one of those you really need to do a zero fill or complete nuke of the hard drive. Try running this utility to completely clean the hard drive:

http://www.dban.org/download

HP Recommended

Re: Non-system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready.......PLEASE HELP!

HP Recommended

non-system disk or disk error

HP Recommended

@Cbm10 wrote:
Hi, okayy so this all started just today, but the day before the computer just wouldn't work right and i didn't know what to do with it because it would immediately go to a blue screen after login in my account or any account and then shut off then restart itself. Then today i tried turning it on and all i see is a black screen with typing on it then immediately goes to another black screen that says " Non-System disk error, replace and strike any key when ready" and i don't know what to do with it because it simply just won't do anything (it just stays on that black screen saying that) and im not a computer genious so i would really appreciate someone's help 🙂 Ohh and i have the HP ProBook 4425s just in case anyone needs to know.

@Cbm10 wrote:

HP Recommended

please slove this problem non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any when ready

HP Recommended

I have this same problem and i cant get it to work iv tried everything. But i tried to do the HDD self test i can see it BUT i cannot click it, its faded out please tell me what this means

HP Recommended
I have this same problem and i cant get it to work iv tried everything. But i tried to do the HDD self test i can see it BUT i cannot click it, its faded out please tell me what this means
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.