Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to decide if it is worth putting an new processor in my laptop.  What is the fastest cpu I can put in my DV9429us without having issues?

I have already upgraded to 4GB of memory and ~900 GB of hard drive space.

HP Recommended

First, I like to a big THANK YOU for this one-stop reference for Notebook upgrades! Now with this out of the way, I'm a bit curious about the upgrade possibilities of my Compaq 615 (NX568EA) where its RAM and video are concerned.
#1 - RAM , I got mine with twin DDR2-800 2gb SO-DIMMs from the store( By the way, according to the box it was originally with a 2+1 configuration, but was store upgraded). According to the AMD website the AMD780G(mobile) can support up to 8 gigs of memory, but according to HP it can only handle 4gigs. So, how much is it?

#2 - Video - Mine NX568EA is equipped with the ATI 780G/SB700 combo,which according to Wikipedia "will be available during second or third quarter (Q2-Q3) 2008 [25], with the implementation of PowerXpress technology, providing one PCI-E slot for AXIOM/MXM modules [26] and HyperFlash [27][28] support for the Puma platform" . So,can you tell me if I my 'book is MXM capable and if it's possible to upgrade its video? I'd do it myself, but I'm somewhat fond of my warranty! 

Thanks in advance!

Disregard #1 - I rechecked the HP website - it's 2x4gb PC2-6400 max. It seems that the problem was with the Localised HP WebContent(Bulgaria)

Message Edited by bk109 on 10-20-2009 08:57 AM
HP Recommended

Hi,

It was a pleasure putting the FAQ together.

@bk109 wrote:

First, I like to a big THANK YOU for this one-stop reference for Notebook upgrades! Now with this out of the way, I'm a bit curious about the upgrade possibilities of my Compaq 615 (NX568EA) where its RAM and video are concerned.
#1 - RAM , I got mine with twin DDR2-800 2gb SO-DIMMs from the store( By the way, according to the box it was originally with a 2+1 configuration, but was store upgraded). According to the AMD website the AMD780G(mobile) can support up to 8 gigs of memory, but according to HP it can only handle 4gigs. So, how much is it?

#2 - Video - Mine NX568EA is equipped with the ATI 780G/SB700 combo,which according to Wikipedia "will be available during second or third quarter (Q2-Q3) 2008 [25], with the implementation of PowerXpress technology, providing one PCI-E slot for AXIOM/MXM modules [26] and HyperFlash [27][28] support for the Puma platform" . So,can you tell me if I my 'book is MXM capable and if it's possible to upgrade its video? I'd do it myself, but I'm somewhat fond of my warranty! 

Thanks in advance!

Disregard #1 - I rechecked the HP website - it's 2x4gb PC2-6400 max. It seems that the problem was with the Localised HP WebContent(Bulgaria)

Message Edited by bk109 on 10-20-2009 08:57 AM

The capability of a laptop or a PC is not only determined by the motherboard's chipset, it is also limited by the configuration of the BIOS ROM file. In the case of HP notebooks the BIOS has a custom ROM file coded by HP's BIOS engineers.

As far as I know, based on chats with my colleagues here in the forum, HP has not made the leap to MXM. The chipset in your notebook  is also used in standard µATX motherboards and they have PCIe slots. Your laptop has ATI Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics. That means integrated into he motherboard chip set. Sorry, but that isn't MXM.

I have been unable to find and versions of the Compaq 615 with Radeon 43XX video chips. Unfortunately, I cannot read Polish or  Czech. There might be versions in that market, but I am not certain as I cannot read the articles to verify the information.

On your memory question... If HP states 4 GB DDR2 Max, as I see in the spec sheet, then that is believable.

Don't forget that you only have two DIMM slots!

That means you would have to find two 4GB memory modules that are compatible with your laptop. I have seen none listed by HP as compatible.

If you find a pair of 4 GB modules from a major memory manufacturer who guarantees their compatibility... it might be worth a try. Remember that you need a 64 bit OS to take advantage of that much RAM. A 32-bit os will only be able to use 3.25 GB of RAM. That is a Microsoft Windows 32-bit OS limitation.

regards,

erico 

Message Edited by erico on 10-21-2009 11:56 AM
Message Edited by erico on 10-21-2009 11:57 AM

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

@catalina wrote:

I am trying to decide if it is worth putting an new processor in my laptop.  What is the fastest cpu I can put in my DV9429us without having issues?

I have already upgraded to 4GB of memory and ~900 GB of hard drive space.

Here is a link to the Service and Maintenance guide for your notebook series. Take a look in section 5.26 (Processor) for the compatible processors. Be advised that you must pay attention to the platform (AMD or Intel) that your laptop has to make sense of thie list.

From what I see listed, it does not look as if it is worth the small amount of processor speed gained to make upgrading really worth the effort and expense.

That is my own opinion. Everyone has one. 😉

regards, 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply! About the maximum supported RAM - according to some HP resources it's 8gigs and according to others 4. In any case, @ crucial i've seen the 2x4gigs combo for the Compaq 516 (615 was missing,but the 516 has as far as I could tell the same basic hardware). As for the MXM - I know that I've got the HD3200(btw, for an Integrated card it has some horsepower 😄 ), but there's supposed to be a version of the 615 with a discrete HD43xx series card, so I'm( or was at any rate) hoping that my 'book is MXM capable. Can you check if the 615 with the 43xx has it on a MXM or if it's hardwired to the mobo?
Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm using a Windows 7 x64, so I don't foresee any problem with maximum RAM mapping

PPS. I think HP made the MXM jump, because I've seen a myriad of MXMs for HP on E-bay

// Straight from the English product page - Maximum : Upgradeable to 8 GB with 4 GB SODIMMs in slots 1 and 2.

As I mentioned a couple of times,It seems that the problem is with INCORRECT Translation and that's why I wrote to disregard the RAM issue whatsoever.
Also,you might've noticed that i acknowledged the fact that the 3200 is an Integrated card. I only wanted to know, if the the 615 with a the HD4330 is built on the same basic chassis which would lend additional weight to the notion of an MDM HD4330.The relevant section from the 615 Overview
"Graphics Models with integrated graphics : ATI Radeon HD 3200.

Models with discrete graphics : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 graphics with HyperMemory support.

Microsoft DirectX 10.1 (discrete),10 (integrated) capable."

Message Edited by bk109 on 10-21-2009 07:28 AM
HP Recommended

Dear Friends,

I have the following question: does HP has some sort of Upgrade Services like: I have laptop A, bought a year ago and still under warranty. I want to upgrade ("replace") it to laptop B that HP evaluate the current price of laptop and I just pay the difference. Would you be so kind to tell me if such service is available by HP?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi.,

I need advice on upgrading the hard drive for my Pavilion 8263ea.

It has two bays, I want to add additional HD to the notebook.

What steps I should take in terms

1. BIOS

2. Compatible HD's - how to determine

Also, I believe I have a SATA drive, can you confirm that.

regards

Pranav

HP Recommended

Hi,

@Pranav_UK wrote:

Hi.,

I need advice on upgrading the hard drive for my Pavilion 8263ea.

It has two bays, I want to add additional HD to the notebook.

What steps I should take in terms

1. BIOS We will get to this after you have your hard disk, frame and connector.

2. Compatible HD's - how to determine Read the following 

Also, I believe I have a SATA drive, can you confirm that. HDD for this model is IDE Ultra ATA-100 not SATA. You can confirm the disk drive type installed in yours by going to Device manager. Click on the triangle next to disk drives. Write down the model number next to your disk drive. Do a Google search on the model number to get information on it.

Unless your confirmation of the drive installed as described above shows you have a SATA drive installed, the following applies:

A standard 2.5" IDE Ultra-100 hdd is what you will need for a second hdd although you will need a frame and connector for the drive. The part numbers for the frame and connector should be on the one you already have installed.

regards

Pranav

Here is a link to the manuals for your Pavilion 8263ea laptop. 
regards,
erico 

HP Recommended

Hi,

@akluch wrote:

Dear Friends,

I have the following question: does HP has some sort of Upgrade Services like: I have laptop A, bought a year ago and still under warranty. I want to upgrade ("replace") it to laptop B that HP evaluate the current price of laptop and I just pay the difference. Would you be so kind to tell me if such service is available by HP?

Thank you.

I really have no way to answer your question. That would be a question best put to Customer Care. I am not an HP Employee. I can help you with technical questions.

regards,

erico  

HP Recommended

hi,

I have checked the device manager and searched for my hard drive.

I have a Hitachi HTS541010G9SA00 hard drive. Some Details on the Drive.

This 100 GB 5400 RPM internal hard drive, the Hitachi HTS541010G9SA00, offers SATA I/O. The HTS541010G9SA00 is a drive with 8 MB of cache.

100GB 5400RPM 8MB BUFFER SATA 7-PIN 2.5INCH HARD DISK

Also, please note, my controller is INTEL 82801GBM SATA ACHI Controller and I also have an INTEL 8280 1G ULTRA ATA Controller installed.

Also, the manual you sent me shows only AMD Turion processors but I have a CENTRINO DUO (T2400) @1.83Ghz.

Please advise on a compatible Hard Drive and other questions I asked earlier

thanks and regards

Pranav

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.