Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the confirmation.  Even a nice boost up to a 128 will be more than enough for my needs and I need very little space also - so I think the next few levels at the larger sizes would be a waste. How does Crucial compare to Samsung generally for SSD'? The only one I have bought before was a Samsung and it was fine but died at the 1 yr mark

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@puppyloveny wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation.  Even a nice boost up to a 128 will be more than enough for my needs and I need very little space also - so I think the next few levels at the larger sizes would be a waste. How does Crucial compare to Samsung generally for SSD'? The only one I have bought before was a Samsung and it was fine but died at the 1 yr mark

Thanks!

Interesting. I have OCZ,Crucial and Samsung 840 EVO SSDs. The Samsung is more highly rated and has given me zero problems. Samsung and Intel are usually  in the top tier of the  yearly SSD shootouts for performance.  The advantage of the 256GB SSD's capacity is that you can use the usb HP recovery media on it. 

desktop.png 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Ahh, didn't even think about it. Since the laptop is brand new (can do a fresh install) what are my options with a 128 for installing (and recovering later if needed) the OS on the ssd? I have the Vantec NST-210S2-BK enclosure I was going to use for the swap, can I do this and just keep the orginal HD with enclosure if I ever need to recover fully? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Have you made a usb recovery flashdrive yet?

Having a usb recovery flashdrive created by the HP recovery media creator put away in a safe place is actually the best option.

Keeping the original disk is a viable solution, but has the limitation of being an OEM legacy spinner hard disk.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I will do that now, but are you saying it won't work on a 128gb ssd? I see in the directions it says to navigate to setup on file explorer and run - but how can the usb be used if you can't access that file - can you just set to boot from usb, and it will run automatically like a disc used to?

As far as cloning - since my  used C drive space now is only 50gb, and my users folder size is 5.5gb - when I clone, am I ok with size and will it move everyting including the recovery partition over?  I guess I am just confused what the best way to do this is without an actual disc drive, and how to assure I can use the recovery usb after the ssd is in. 

Some of the blogs are saying you are better off just installing the ssd, and running the 8.1 installation from usb (if possible) with key - for a fresh install - but are you saying the 128 is too small for that?

Thanks for your help - I'm actually pretty good w/ computers but just haven't done this with a non-dvd drive laptop 🙂 My needs for laptops are pretty basic so never needed an ssd upgrade until now, did one swap for someone years ago and completely forgot everything 🙂

HP Recommended

My understanding of a known limitation of the recovery media is that with SSD disks, a minimum of 256GB  storage capacity is required for a successful recovery to an SSD.  It is a special case.

Cloning may work. You will have to shrink the partition size for it to be successful. 

HP Recommended

Ok, a little bit of an update. Any help would be much appreciated - tearing my hair out here!

Ended up getting a 256 ssd after all that. However, had to work on the laptop and set it up with lots of random stuff I really really don't want to re do. So - I will have to go back to the migrate option.

It came with Acronis which I installed, but am stuck now.

To recap from an earlier post - Win 8.1 on an HP x360, going from the original 500gb HD to a 256 gb SSD.   50gb still used in C drive. Already shrunk C and this is what DM looks like:

drive.jpg

Now I'm stuck.

At this point, what is the simplest way to get an exact copy of everything over to the ssd? I can use Macrium or Acronis and have a USB enclosure if that helps.  What is the simplest way with what I have to get everything over going by the "shrunk" drive as shown above and the new 256 ssd ?

Thanks all!

HP Recommended

What is the brand and model of the SSD? The manufacturers of the best ones provide migration software.  If you happen to have a usb to sata cable it is quite simple. The one I have was delivered with the SSD (Crucial) migration kit.

usb-to-sata cable.jpg

An alternative is to do it by removing the original hard disk and performing the migration in a desktop PC and putting the target (SSD) back in the laptop afterwards.

HP Recommended

Ok, so successfully cloned using Todo, and all is up and running - however, it says my recovery partition is 102gb? Is this right? I see the correct 20gb is used but why is it so big total, and isn't that taking away from my regular C drive? This is the DM now:

later.jpg

HP Recommended

So thought i would just chime in 🙂 to confirm it is actually possible to use a quad cpu in a dual core laptop....bios update for me is what sorted it out.

Plus i upgraded the motherboard to a better one with a higher spec gpu....currently laughing 🙂 £150 later and i've a core i7 laptop with a decent gpu that beats most of the laptops of today! result

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.