Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I just purchased a hp 15 g201ax and had a free upgrade of ram from 2gb to 4gb. Now, my second time starting the laptop, I realized that the system has already used up 50% of the ram, and thinking to upgrade to 8gb. I have check on the product description and it supports 8gb ram. Then I saw there was a sentence saying “1 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slot”. What does that mean? When I check on task manager, it says that I have 2 slots and only 1 is being used.

I called back the shop, and got the person who upgraded the ram. He said that there was only 1 available slot which he removed the 2gb ram(which came with the laptop) and inserted the 4gb ram. If so, why is task manager reporting as 1 of 2 slots, and why does hp website says that “2GB 1333MHz ddr3L SDRAM (1x2GB)?

Thank you.

Product description: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04513485

HP Recommended

@mrclever wrote:

Hi, I just purchased a hp 15 g201ax and had a free upgrade of ram from 2gb to 4gb. Now, my second time starting the laptop, I realized that the system has already used up 50% of the ram, and thinking to upgrade to 8gb. I have check on the product description and it supports 8gb ram. Then I saw there was a sentence saying “1 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slot”. What does that mean? When I check on task manager, it says that I have 2 slots and only 1 is being used.

I called back the shop, and got the person who upgraded the ram. He said that there was only 1 available slot which he removed the 2gb ram(which came with the laptop) and inserted the 4gb ram. If so, why is task manager reporting as 1 of 2 slots, and why does hp website says that “2GB 1333MHz ddr3L SDRAM (1x2GB)?

Thank you.

Product description: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04513485

I do not know why it states that. That appears to be an error that was missed in QA. 

There is indeed a single memory module slot. 

If you want 8GB in the notebook you will need to replace the 4GB module with a compatible 8GB memory module. 

From the Maintenence & Support guide for your notebook

memory upgrades.jpg

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

HI there, I just bought an  HP Stream Notebook PC 13 and I would like to upgrade the RAM memory, it comes with a 2GB  Micron 1333MHz and would like to add more but it only has one slot, is it possible to change the 2G for a 4G or bigger RAM? Thank you for your assistance

HP Recommended

@inutil1 wrote:

HI there, I just bought an  HP Stream Notebook PC 13 and I would like to upgrade the RAM memory, it comes with a 2GB  Micron 1333MHz and would like to add more but it only has one slot, is it possible to change the 2G for a 4G or bigger RAM? Thank you for your assistance

What is the complete product name or product number of your notebook?

If it is a touchscreen model then up to 4GB of installed memory is supported.

If your notebook is a non-touchscreen model then only 2GB of memory is supported.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi there!

I have a question regarding a memory problem!
HP Pavilion dv7 4000eh laptop I have, and the present 2 x 2 GB DDR3 ram wanted to revamp 2 x 4 Gb. I also got a double Corsair 8GB Vengeance 1600MHz, but after replacing the laptop continuously restarts Windows before loading. Probably the new memory is a problem, because the old one is fine to put up the machine. I tried half-halved, ie an old, a new RAM, but the same problem standing up. The manufacturer BIOS upgrade is secured, it hath by improved, but still not change.
There's some room for improvement?
Thank you in advance for your response!

Welcome

HP Recommended

I have a HP 15 notebook with a AMD A4-6210 CPU w/radeon 1.8 GHz and 4MB RAM

Is it possible to upgrade my CPU?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@TomHuffman wrote:

I have a HP 15 notebook with a AMD A4-6210 CPU w/radeon 1.8 GHz and 4MB RAM

Is it possible to upgrade my CPU?

Thanks.

What is the complete product name or produt number for your notebook?

HP Recommended

The product ID is M0P86AV

HP Recommended

@TomHuffman

Unfortunately, upgrading the CPU in your notebook means upgrading the system board. I have seen in the HP Maintenance and Service guide for your notebook that the CPU is not listed as a seperate part. That indicates that the CPU, which is now called an APU, is soldered onto the systemboard and not seperately upgradeable. See the following image from the manual.

The APU that you listed as installed is the top of the line quad core AMD APU option for your notebook.

system boards.png

HP Recommended

OK, upgrading the system board is an acceptible solution. What are my options and at what cost?

Are the boards listed in the graphic you show my options? The A8-6410 circled above appears to be my best option, yes?

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.