Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

My notebook (HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook) when shutting down only takes a couple of seconds, however it can take upto 5 minutes to power off...

At first i thought some service or program was taking a long time to shutdown, I installed Windows 8.1 SDK Performance Toolkit to try and identify a culprit; ran the command "xbootmgr -trace shutdown -traceFlags BASE+DIAG+LATENCY -noPrepReboot" and succeffully generated trace file.

I noticed the notbook had rebooted in just a few seconds..

Anyhow I proceeded to analyse the trace file using the wpa.exe program anf could not find any program or service taking much time to shutdown!!!

SO I understand now the Windows OS is shutting down nicely though the Notebook is taking a very long time to power off.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I do have NVIDIA Driver 337.88 installed and did find another thread here where they suspected this driver version has not been tested by HP and after they applied it their notebook shutdown slower than usual - is this somehting maybe to look at...

I'm currently downoading sp63414.exe NVIDIA driver for my notebook - should I uninstall my current driver and apply HP's?

Jim

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks visruth,..

What I tried is run "msconfig" and boot into "safe mode", rebooted then shutdown, shutdown was back to normal again.

So then reran "msconfig" disabled all non-Microsoft Services, shutdown and again all powered off as normal (quickly after shutdown).

So rebooted and re-enabled all services again using "msconfig".  THen disabled the following services, choosing these specifically as I'm not so sure why they should be running and some not know what they are used for...

Capture.JPG 

rebooted and then shutdown and all shutdown and power off was normal...

It seems one of these services is causing the power off to take several minutes....

I suspect the bluetooth services, or the GSService, or IconMan_R, or possibly the Netgear Genie...

Funny enough I did uninstall netgear genie a few weeks ago and see for some unknown reason the Service is still there???? Hmm...

Jim

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

OK I've uninstalled the NVIDIA driver and installed HP's latest "old" version and still have this problem where Notebook is taking a very long time to power off...  At least 5 minutes!!!

Anyone have any suggestions - I don;t think this is a Windows OS Issue I think there is something firmware or BIOS or something...

HP Recommended
Try these:
sfc /scannow
chkdsk
System restore
power options
Malware bytes free full check
Trend micro house call full check

thanks,
HP Recommended

Thanks visruth,..

What I tried is run "msconfig" and boot into "safe mode", rebooted then shutdown, shutdown was back to normal again.

So then reran "msconfig" disabled all non-Microsoft Services, shutdown and again all powered off as normal (quickly after shutdown).

So rebooted and re-enabled all services again using "msconfig".  THen disabled the following services, choosing these specifically as I'm not so sure why they should be running and some not know what they are used for...

Capture.JPG 

rebooted and then shutdown and all shutdown and power off was normal...

It seems one of these services is causing the power off to take several minutes....

I suspect the bluetooth services, or the GSService, or IconMan_R, or possibly the Netgear Genie...

Funny enough I did uninstall netgear genie a few weeks ago and see for some unknown reason the Service is still there???? Hmm...

Jim

HP Recommended
OK. Glad you found the culprit.
Netgear registry may not have gone after uninstalling.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.