Re: Notebook freezes few seconds after start. Overheat? New video cable? (199 Views)
Student
AmInnnN
Message 1 of 2 (240 Views)

Notebook freezes few seconds after start. Overheat? New video cable?

[ Edited ]

Hello and thanks for your attention.

HP Pavillion DV5-1235e
Windows Vista

4 years old.

I wanted to clean the fan on my laptop since it is 4 years old now. So I had to take apart everything and took it back together. I did remove the old thermal paste and putted some new.  Except that I didn't change anything. And I also canged the video cable for a new one.

My first attepmt to start didn't end well. I pressed the power button my notebook started but the sreen didn't start and from there on he didn't even boot. (the HDD led didn't blink ) So i found a solution for that. pulled out the power suply, pressed the power button for 30-60 sec. Puted the power back and viola! It worked. But I didn't even open a web browser and the laptop freezed. So i pressed the power button for 3 sec and the laptop turned off. Turned it back on I had the same problem as in the first attemp. So had to pull out power suply, press power button , put power suply back on and it worked again but i didn't have time to open speedfan to see the temp so I don't know what happend actualy. The fan is rotating. the thermo paste is new. everything should work fine.

edit: I managed to start speedfan. The temperatures were low. The lowest I have ever seen them. But he still freezed

edit2: In safe mode. it works longer but freezes(does freeze and the monitor turns off)

Thank you who made it to this point.

Looking forward the anwsers.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 2 (199 Views)

Re: Notebook freezes few seconds after start. Overheat? New video cable?

Hello AmlnnN,

I understand have you finished doing a little maintenance   work on the computer it now freezes periodically is that correct? I will do all I can to help you resolve this issue.

First thing lets run a couple test on some of your hardware.

See steps below:

1.       I want you to boot into the bios menu this link will show you how.

2.       Once in bios go over to the diagnostic option at the top.(Note you will need to use the arrow keys to navigate)

3.       You may see 2 test there if that is the case run both test.

4.       It may take some time so please have the ac adapter plugged in.

5.       Once the test finished press F9 to setup defaults and then press F10 to save and exit.

Also find out while you’re in the bios if the computer ever freezes there.

Pleas respond back with your results at your earliest convenience.

Thank You

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
I work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation