Question
Intern
Message 1 of 6 (4,517 Views)
Accepted Solution

Nvidia GT 630m not switching/working in HP dv6 7010tx!!??Help?

Got the new dv6 7010tx and it seems the switchable graphics is'nt working.....its intel HD all the time,not able to use the Nvidia 630m.....help?????!!!!

Accepted Solution

Re: Nvidia GT 630m not switching/working in HP dv6 7010tx!!??Help?

The switch is very subtle. Try using these tools which provide a positive feedback that the nVidia GPU is active:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26992-optimus-test-tools-finally-in-users-hands/

I have an Ivybridge laptop with i7 and Intel HD4000 and then a switchable discrete nVidia card and have seen that the Optimus tools show that the discrete video is active when I use Google Earth in OpenGL mode and also when I run 3DMark and any game with serious 3D needs.

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (4,506 Views)

The switch is very subtle. Try using these tools which provide a positive feedback that the nVidia GPU is active:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26992-optimus-test-tools-finally-in-users-hands/

I have an Ivybridge laptop with i7 and Intel HD4000 and then a switchable discrete nVidia card and have seen that the Optimus tools show that the discrete video is active when I use Google Earth in OpenGL mode and also when I run 3DMark and any game with serious 3D needs.

Intern
Message 3 of 6 (4,499 Views)

Ok i see that its on when running 3D games.......gr8 tool thankz.

But if so then why is'nt the GPU-Z software detecting it(does'nt it have support for the new 630m)?

Provost
Message 4 of 6 (4,481 Views)

Maybe because it (that program) does not trigger the discrete graphics. Try setting discrete graphics to launch when you launch CPU-Z. I had to do that with Google Earth or it was running on the Intel graphics.

Intern
Message 5 of 6 (4,465 Views)

I see the screen flickering when i open the gpuz with the nvidia chip selected as its profile......but not showing in the GPU-Z readings......still shows intel chipset.....:smileyhappy:

Teacher
Message 6 of 6 (4,077 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello every body.

I am relatively new to this Nvidia & Intel Optimus technology.

I am thinking of buying new DV6 HP (

Anyways, I have a bad experience with ATI & Intel switching technology (owning Dv7 with 7690mxt and Intel)

Can some one answer this few questions for me, that would be great:

1. in the new DV6 HP, how well does Optimus work? 
I hear some problems with Optimus randomly changing GPU during the intense 3d app.

2. Where do you "update Nvidia drivers"? 
I went to the Nvida website and there was a notification stating that 630m driver doesnt work with (dual gpu laptops--- consult you manufacture)

3. Some other problems that you would like to share)

Thank you guys in advance. I hope that HP doesnt disappoint me again. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation