Question

Honor Student
jrichardson
Message 1 of 3 (498 Views)
Accepted Solution

Optical Drive Will Not Burn

I saw that there were many other posts on this, and although I found other users who had descriptions that were similar to mine, the fixes did not work.

My specs:

Windows 7 64-bit SP1

HP H8-1360t Desktop

My Optical Drive: DH16ACSHR

My driver for the optical drive is the cdrom.sys, file version: 6.1.7601.17514, driver date 6/21/2006

When I purchased my computer I did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit. Ran all updates at the time and the disc drive burned perfectly. A few weeks later, it will not burn. I am using Windows to burn just .pdf files, and it gets to the point where it says "burn", but after I click burn the dialog disappears. The drive makes noise, and spins the disc, and writes data to it, but the dialog never pops back up or verifies the disc. It does not show burn % complete status either. If I try to remove the disc, the drive does not open. If I open with a paperclip, since the disc is spinning, it of course makes thrashing sounds and them jams up. When I get the drive open and the disc out, the disc clearly has data written to it, but it cannot be read by other drives. It just says the disc is not blank anymore, but doesn't allow me to see what is on it.

I HAVE ALREADY TRIED:

Deleting/Uninstalling the driver

Checking the registry entry for Upper and Lower entries, THERE ARE NONE

Running /scannow - Windows comes back saying it could not find any issues, everything is fine.

Updating the driver - it says I have the newest driver

Rolling back the driver - it says there is no previously installed driver

I had an HP desktop before of a different model and the exact same thing happened then. When I got this new one, it burned just fine so I had thought maybe it was a problem with the previous machine... but then after a few weeks this one started doing the same thing.

I am confused because when I look at the release date for the driver, it is super old, and it says it is the latest version.. but Microsoft lists 50 updates to it at a minimum between then and now, some of them as recently as June. I can't seem to find a way to download that windows common driver by itself and install it that way either. 

I refuse to do a complete re-install because I do not believe it will fix the problem more than temporarily. Within the company, this is the fourth total desktop this has occurred with and each time we do a clean install it works initially but then goes back to this same problem again. 

Hoping someone has an idea of where I can get a driver newer than 2006 for this device!

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (495 Views)

Re: Optical Drive Will Not Burn

Hi,

Hope the following fix helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Good luck.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
jrichardson
Message 3 of 3 (487 Views)

Re: Optical Drive Will Not Burn

That is awesome and it worked perfectly! I can't believe I couldn't find that before! Thank you so much!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation