Question

Honor Student
eatman3
Message 1 of 34 (25,041 Views)

PLEASE HELP! Pavilion DV2000 Nvidia Graphics card/driver

Laptop is only 15 months old.  The graphics started to go crazy (like the Matrix where you couldn't read the screen and then the screen was like six little desktops).  I was able to uninstall the original graphics driver and it auto-installed a VGA driver and the screen was fine.  Then I installed the current graphics driver from the hp support site and it started doing everything again.  So I am back to VGA so I can read the screen.  Has the graphics card gone bad?  Am I not using the correct nvidia graphics driver?  Thanks.
Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 34 (25,012 Views)

Re: PLEASE HELP! Pavilion DV2000 Nvidia Graphics card/driver

[ Edited ]

When loading the correct driver corrupts the video it means there is bad video memory. The vga generic driver only uses a small amount of video memory but installing the correct driver makes it all work (or try to work). In this case I am afraid the only fix is a motherboard replacement or some fancy component level work on the video chip on the motherboard. There are internet laptop shops that specialize in this kind of repair if you are out of warranty and HP has an extended service program (don't say recall) on certain dv2000s, mostly AMD models where they replace the motherboard outside of the usual one year warranty. Check this chart against your specific model number:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?&objectID=c01087277

Message Edited by Huffer on 01-01-2009 09:15 AM
Student
ciaran
Message 3 of 34 (24,704 Views)

I just started having the exact same problem with my Pavillion dv2535ea.... the screen displays 6 mini desktops and the colours are all messed up!

I really cant afford to buy a new laptop... did you manage to get yours repaired in the end? If so, how much did it cost and what service did you use...

Many thanks for any help....

Ciaran/ 

Student
bigclube
Message 4 of 34 (24,664 Views)

I have the same problem as eatman3.  14 months old and the screen started blacking out while all the keyboard lights were on.  Then the screen became split into 6 separate screens.  I bought from Costco so I still had 10 months of warranty left.  I sent it in and they said it was a bad hard drive.  Of course, when it came back, same problem.  I am sending it back to them now to get it fixed.  I feel like crying...

Teacher
Sticky1981
Message 5 of 34 (24,613 Views)

Have a look at this thread http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Hardware&thread.id=3982 There is a known issue with this series and your symptoms seem to be the same as those described in the link.

HP have been forced to extend the warranties on certain products with certain problems.  Follow the http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us link, BUT make sure you are in the correct "country" on the website.  Different countries sell different P/Ns and the list is different for each area.  Do a little research and hopefully you will find that your model has had its warranty extended to 24 months and will be repaired under those terms. HP, by the way, offered me no help regarding a similar problem, I had to research it myself and ask them specifically about the extended warranty.

Hope this helps.

Pom Top Student
Top Student
Pom
Message 6 of 34 (24,315 Views)

Well Suprise ! Surprise !!

Its taken me all day to figure out whats wrong with my wifes HP Pavillion DV 2000

After various downloads web searches, virus scans , Hours an hours of watching (and trying to read) the tiny little error messages it seems that I have finally come to the resultant end.

Seems to me that HP should indeed do a recall on these as its not an isolated case The "service tag" on ours is dv 2630ea

Hate being test pilot for other peoples cr*p don't you !

Pom

Honor Student
yesandno
Message 7 of 34 (24,271 Views)

[ Edited ]
I am experiencing the same problem. My computer is completely dead after 3 beeps, and my p/n is not on their list. I dunno what I am gonna do, but I am not paying HP $400 for their fault. 
Message Edited by WendyM on 02-28-2009 08:45 PM
Honor Student
pankajrajput
Message 8 of 34 (23,792 Views)

HI

I am also facing the same problem with DV2630ea, just after expiry of warranty..its very frustating...any solutions.

Top Student
goldvet
Message 9 of 34 (23,736 Views)

Hi

I also have a HP Pavilion DV2637TX bought 12/2007 so just 15 months old.  I was playing games one night when it just turned off.  Turned it back on for it to display very small text in 2 columns x 4 rows - telling me to start in safe mode - thought warranty would be useless so got Dell Technician to have a look - cost me $250 and a new 1Gb DDR2 Memory.  Machine was getting very hot even sitting on hard surface.  PC was returned yesterday appeared to be OK turned it on for 15 minutes this afternoon and it was hot and turned itself off and on again starting again with 8 small screens.  Notice 2637 models are not on the list of HP extended warrant.  Maybe because they were sold in Australia.

Thought it was the NVIDIA driver - attempted to update all drivers after doing a HP diagnostic scan.

Would be nice if HP could give some indication of what the problem is - don't think I am really prepared to spend too much more to repair

Pom Top Student
Top Student
Pom
Message 10 of 34 (23,731 Views)

as you see from my post earlier ive have the same problem with my wife's which she used for uni an this being her disertation year couldnt hang about waiting for HP who arnt doing anything about this problem so she had to go buy another laptop AFTER ONE YEAR..

Bad show poor customer service and poor quality management i say

still trying to get them to own up to a problem that is soo obviousely not an isolated one

Pom !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation