Pavilion 1150 em - Fan Noise (77309 Views)
Top Student
santi
Message 1 of 24 (77,309 Views)

Pavilion 1150 em - Fan Noise

Hi,

I've just bought a Pavilion 1150em labtop and I've checked as the fan is always running even though the cpu is working at lowest level, without any program opened. The preinstalled BIOS version is F.13.

Currently is available the most updated BIOS F.20 version, however reading the HP forums it looks like the fan control it is the same.

Is there anybody with the same fan noise problem that can help us?

Could be a possible solution to downgrade the BIOS version to older version? If it is so, which version?

If not, what solution do you suggest?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Intern
reliablepctechs
Message 2 of 24 (77,297 Views)

Re: Pavilion 1150 em - Fan Noise

Has the fan always been loud?  What is the approx age of the laptop?  I see many laptops that have loud fans due to improper airflow.  It is possible that the laptop is clogged with dust.

You could install a program called "speedfan" you can find it via google.  Install it and it will report the current internal temps.  If any are high speedfan will report that to you.  If they are high you'll need to address the cooling issue.

Top Student
santi
Message 3 of 24 (77,288 Views)

Hi again,

First on all thanks for your answer!

The labtop is just new. I've already checked it with the speedfan and everything is normal (around 45º the CPU temperature).

Reading through of the forum, I think the issue is related with the hp fan control algorithm. It keeps the fan always running, regardless how the cpu is working and what the temperature it is.

Is there any way to deactivate it? I think it would be great it works in a more smart way. I mean if you don't have any program opened, the fan should be quiet, and when the cpu job increase enough, the fan should begin to spin.

Thanks in Advance!    

Tutor
Downunder
Message 4 of 24 (77,273 Views)

[ Edited ]

IMHO, HP has botched up the thermal management design for many of its laptops. You may be aware of the thousands of HP laptops which are failing or have failed due to the defective NVIDIA GPU issue. HP's poor thermal design has properly accelerated the dead rate.

HP's simplistic solution to the thermal management design issue is to make the fan runs constantly for many of its laptop via a BIOS update. I guess the prognosis is that you machine will risk a slow death if you somehow manage to stop the fan (eg. by downgrading to an old BIOS version)

Message Edited by Downunder on 01-12-2009 12:36 PM
Top Student
santi
Message 5 of 24 (77,260 Views)

Hello,

You are right. I had already heard in this forum about the hp's "simplistic solution". But I thought the most of companies are doing the same, fans always running to make sure the overheating is not a problem. Do you know if it is so? or is it only for hp's labtops? 

On the other hand, today I changed the following option in the BIOS (F.13): Fan always running. It was enabled and I disabled it, however the fan is still running all the time. This is the reason because I guess it is happening due to hp modified the fan managemente algorithm to swithc on the fan to lower temperature. Does someone from which BIOS version it was done?

Current available BIOS version on the hp support web page for pavilion 1150 are the next: F.05 (07-2008) - F.08 (08-2008) - F.12 (10-2008) - The current F.20 (12-2008).  

Thanks in advance!!!

Honor Student
centurion34
Message 6 of 24 (77,233 Views)

HP Pavilion dv5, dv7 etc. fan always on (BIOS) and loud noisy fan problem SOLVED!

[ Edited ]
HP Pavilion dv5, dv7 etc. fan always on (BIOS) and loud noisy fan problem SOLVED! 

It appears I will be the first person on the net to successfully solve that annoying problem with newer HP notebooks fan :smileyhappy: Now my DV5-1150en is completely cool and quiet (while browsing, doing office work etc). So, as many of HP DV5, DV7 laptops (and even older series) users have complained, the fan in those notebooks is just horrible:

a) It always on, and you cannot disable this feature in BIOS, despite the fact that there is an option “Fan always on” (problem comes with some kind of BIOS update, maybe from F.08 and later).

b) Very loud, noisy and annoying fan, even if the temperature of CPU / GPU is rather acceptable, even in idle and power saving modes.

c) Fan becomes even more louder and spins faster while power cable is connected, making the work with the laptop rather brain-breaking and uncomfortable. Moreover, heating and temperatures increase while charging, what also affecting the fan speed.

So, a week ago I have purchased the HP Pavilion dv5-1150en Entertainment Notebook with the following specs:

AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core ZM-82 2.2 GHz; 4096 MB DDR2 800 MHz, 320 GB SATA HDD 5400 rpm; 15.4 WXGA BrightView Widescreen; ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 with 512 MB dedicated memory etc. You can view the full specs sheet here: http://www.flex.ee/datasheets/HP_dv5-1150en.pdf

Of course, the first thing I have noticed is that always running loud fan that is so annoying that you just can’t concentrate while working with the laptop. 

Have tried to solve the problem in several ways, without any result:

1. Changing the Vista power settings, enabling power saving modes.

2. Searching for some software to control the speed of the fan or to reduce the frequency of the CPU, but currently there is no such utilities available on the net for HP dv5 notebooks and for Turion Ultra processors. Such popular programs like SpeedFan, Notebook Hardware Control etc. does not support newer HP laptops.

3. Updating and downgrading the BIOS to make the “Fan always on” option disabled. My dv5 1150en comed with F.11 BIOS, I have tried to downgrade to the oldest available from HP Software & Driver downloads for my laptop (because newer BIOSes have the same problem with fan always on): http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3812328&lang=en

But after installing this f.05 bios from Vista, the laptop even won’t boot, it was basically the black screen with leds on after the power button pressed. So I have performed the Insyde H2O BIOS recovery procedure: downloaded another bios version (F.12), extracted the sp41253.exe file with WinRAR, found there 30F2F12.fd file (it’s BIOS source file), renamed it to 3600.BIN (where 3600 is the model number of DV5 laptops), copied to USB flash drive, removed the battery and power cable from laptop, pressed the WinKey+B combination on the keyboard, inserted the USB flash drive, inserted power cable, turned the notebook on while keeping those keys pressed, and after some minutes of beeping I had a good working BIOS installed :smileyhappy: 

But the problem with fan was still unsolved. I have even thought to return the laptop back to shop, because it’s very important for me to have a quiet PC and to work in comfortable environment without noise. For example, my desktop PC (Quad Core Intel Q6600 3GHz, 4 GB DDR2, GeForce GTX280 1GB) is completely quiet while not gaming, because of a good CPU cooler and a software speed control of CPU and GPU fans.

I have googled across the internet a lot on this the dv5 fan problem, but only one article helped me to solve it.

Here is the solution: http://notebookequus.blogspot.com

Read that article very carefully. Yes, it appears that patching the DSDT table is the only way to cope with that annoying HP Pavilion fan. And this rather simple procedure works with dv5 also, although the fan speeds are written in DSDT table in more complicated way.

So, now I will explain DSDT table patching actions performed with my laptop. Follow the text of above given guide by its paragraphs, I will give some comments how it is done on dv5:

(Introduction paragraphs). Here I just want to add, that you cannot use the mentioned software (HWMonitor) to monitor the Turion Ultra CPU and DV5 laptop’s thermal characteristics, because as for my laptop, it wasn’t supported by that soft.

1st paragraph. The same.
2. The same.
3. The same. DSDT table patch in registry was: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\ACPI\DSDT\HP____\3600____\f0000000

4. The same.
5. The same.
6. The same.
7. The same.
8. The same.
9. The same
10. The same, but...

11, 12. As you know, the fan in dv5 is always on, so there won’t be zero fan speed written in the DSDT table (don’t search for 0x0). And the list of fan speed numbers is much more complicated here, because the dv5 uses some very retarded fan control :smileyhappy:

As for my laptop, the list we need to edit looks this way:

Name(BCLT, Package(0xd)
  {
  0x64,
  0x30,
  0x13,
  0x18,
  0x1d,
  0x22,
  0x27,
  0x30,
  0x37,
  0x3d,
  0x47,
  0x50,
  0x64
  })

In integer numbers (converted from hex) the fan speeds (in percent from maximum speed) are following:

So, in order to reduce speeds correctly and precisely, maybe we need some experimental testing. But I a have just changed the table in this way:

Name(BCLT, Package(0xd)
  {
  0x64,
  0x30,
  0x13, 
  0x13,
  0x13,
  0x13,
  0x13,
  0x13,
  0x13,
  0x13,
  0x47,
  0x50,
  0x64
  })

I.e., replacing some of the intermediate values with 0x13 (what is equal to 19% fan speed) was rather good decision for me.

BTW, for testing purposes, don’t forget to create a new power plan in Vista before applying those settings. We need the power plan with less power consumption and less CPU frequency (in this case the CPU shouldn’t become very hot even under heavy load). I have created a new power plan from the Vista’s original “Power saver” plan. In the new plan, in advanced power settings, in Processor power management section, I have set the Minimum processor state to 5% and the Maximum processor state to 50% (both for battery and for plugged in). I have also set here the ATI graphics PowerPlay settings to “Maximum Battery Life”. 

Then I have checked with the AMD Power Monitor Version 1.2.3 utility (can be downloaded here: http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_14098,00.html ), that my CPU cores are running at 550 MHz (30%) each when idle, and on 1.1 GHz (50%) when load, so the clock never increasing to the max 2.2 GHz (100%) with such power plan, what reduces the heat very well. I have applied this plan before enabling DSDT table changes (the fan was noisy as usual, even with such power plan).

13th paragraph. The same.
14. The same.
15. The same.

That’s all! I have restarted my laptop, and the fan speed settings have really been changed, because now most the time my fan is working at 19%, what means very quiet (absolutely comfortable for hearing). Even when power cable is plugged in (battery charging), the laptop still remains quiet (before patching the DSDT, as you know, it became much louder while charging, but now it remains quiet). 

Currently I use that updated table mostly with described before “reduced-CPU-clock” power plan (with max clock 1.1 GHz at each of Turion Ultra cores). It’s absolutely suitable for any king of internet surfing, for MS Office and Windows tasks, for non-HDTV video watching etc. 

The CPU temperature stays at 47-55 Celsius, what is very acceptable for Turion Ultra CPU. Under long heavy load (for testing I use EVEREST software, there is System stability test that stresses CPU to 100% load), the temp goes to 60-67 degrees (and approximately from 62 C the next steps of fan speeds are being enabled, fan becomes louder, but still much more quiet, than before DSDT patching). So under load the temps are also rather good, no problems here. And the temp of ATI GPU (with power saving enabled while not gaming) is also always normal, 47-50 C. I monitor the temps with SpeedFan nd EVEREST software.

So the next step could be even disabling the fan (setting the speed to 0x0 somewhere in the middle of DSDT fan speed list) when working in windows.

If I set CPU clock to max (2.2 GHz), the temps begin to rise quickly, but I think nothing dangerous here, because the fan, even with modified table, also increases its speed (not so fast, as before, therefore remains more quiet). For example, on 2.2GHz, while watching 1080p HDTV video (what means almost 100% CPU load), I had the temp of 82 C (for mobile AMD CPU, it’s not the temp you should panic about).

Of course, on 2.2 GHz, if you would like to play 3D games, to what HDTV for a long time, to do some processor-dependent tasks that require high clock etc. – I recommend not to risk and to switch to original DTST table that you had before patching (as you can see in the article, switching and recovering tables is very simple, but the fan noise will return). On the other hand, while working on 1.1 GHz, even under heavy CPU load, you will always have acceptable temp, so with such power plan there is no need to switch tables.

So I suppose my post will help you to solve those annoying fan problems on HP notebooks :smileyhappy: 

Please write your feedback, and post here the DSDT fan speed lists and configurations you have tested and liked on your laptop. Don’t forget to mention your laptop’s model and specs, and to include the original DSDT fan speed table. Maybe the same method will perfectly work not only with HP, but also with the laptops of other manufacturers, some testing needed here. BTW, if you will manage to write a better guide on solving the problem (with pictures, videos etc.), please post it here or send me via PM, i will update this post then.

So, the conclusion is simple: on latest HP Pavilion notebooks, currently it’s the only way to save your nerves and brain from that loud always-on fan, yeah :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by centurion34 on 01-25-2009 01:27 PM
Student
uzilainen
Message 7 of 24 (76,490 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5, dv7 etc. fan always on (BIOS) and loud noisy fan problem SOLVED!

I have similar problem with my zd8000. But I cannot find the right section in dsdt.asl file to change the values. Can I send you my file on email for you to check if I missed somethink. Thank you.
Honor Student
Ankush
Message 8 of 24 (76,331 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5, dv7 etc. fan always on (BIOS) and loud noisy fan problem SOLVED!

@centurion34 

Thank you for posting the probable solution in a detailed manner.

I tried with my laptop, HP Pavailion dv2000, Core 2 duo, 3GB RAM by following all the steps properly. 

However, it didnt work. :smileysad:

In the post, subkey path says HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\ACPI\DSDT\HP____\nc8430\00010000 but in my laptop

the path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\ACPI\DSDT\INTEL_\CRESTLNE\06040000. 

Is this fine or there is some thing wrong with this?

I tried the solution using this path.

Still my laptop is making loud nice and which is very irritating for me day by day :smileysad:

Please help me.

Thanks in advance

Ankush  

Honor Student
centurion34
Message 9 of 24 (76,282 Views)

uzilainen, please read this article: http://notebookequus.blogspot.com , there author explains, how to search for required values.

Ankush, on your laptop the path should't be the same as on my. if you are using Vista, please check, that you are launching the Windows Command Prompt (cmd) with "Run as administrator" command from right-click menu, or the entered functions won't work.

Honor Student
Ankush
Message 10 of 24 (76,174 Views)

Hello Centurion34,

Thank you for your prompt reply!!

I tried to do it all again by "Run as administrator" of the command prompt. Still it didnt work completely.

I used the fan configuration the way you have used(for e.g. have x013) as values in the table.

However, i can see that some times my laptop is working fine, i mean with low fan noise.

But most of the times, it is making loud noise.

Please help me.

Thank you,

Ankush  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation