Question

Top Student
robamobabob
Message 1 of 4 (458 Views)

Pavilion DM4 fingerprint scanner problems - SimplePass app crash

On startup of the program, SimplePass crashes instantly. Whether I start it from a desktop shortcut, control panel, an internet browser, or swiping my finger, it still crashes at the splash screen. 

I have tried the hard restart several times, reinstalled drivers of various versions (including the Validity Sensors drivers in device manager), tried both SimplePass 2011 and 2012 (and assorted versions of 2011), updated everything, and still nothing is fixing the problem. 

I know it used to work, and it was registered to a different fingerprint until recently, so I doubt that it is a hardware problem. Given how many problems I've had with this HP laptop and the similar problems I've had with another DM4 and a DV6T QE (each had similar problems with different solutions that aren't working for this laptop), I'm really leaning towards never buying another HP. These machines are riddled with problems.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (449 Views)

Re: Pavilion DM4 fingerprint scanner problems - SimplePass app crash

Welcome to the forum, Bob.

Your SimplePass installation sounds like it needs a fresh start.

First, a Short version of a possible fix to see if you can get away with fixing this the easy way.  This also checks the intergrity of the BIOMETRICS setup - at least to the extent that one can test this stuff from the outside.

Remember:  No matter what you do, the Validity Sensor Driver should be reinstalled prior to any installation of, and many changes to, SimplePass.   SimplePass seems to depend on the Driver being handled in this way:

1. Driver First
  2. Software Second

=====================================================================================

Begin:

Reinstall your current Validity Sensor Driver

Windows 8:

Windows key + X > M (Opens the Device Manager) > Validity Sensor >>

OR

Windows 7:

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Validity Sensor >>

then

• Right-Click on the Validity Sensor driver and "Uninstall" (do NOT delete it)
  • Restart / Reboot the computer and log in
  • The driver will reinstall itself as you log in

HintNever skip the suggested reboots -- the SimplePass Database is extraordinarily sensitive and loves a good reboot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are not already on the latest version of SimplePass, this first bit may not work very well.  You might want to install the latest version right over the top of whatever you are running now, reboot, and then proceed.  Use the version of SimplePass shown below in Section Remove and Install

Consider / Try the following:

============================================================================

Reset Biometrics

This is a short procedure to see if you can kick the database back into working order.

If you have not tried to do this in the past, you might try

• Switch OFF the Biometrics **,
  • Reboot the system,
  • Switch the BIOMETRICS back ON
  • Reboot the system

** How To Reset the Biometrics

Be aware and pay attention to the warning about the password data.  This will remove your fingerprint password logon data (at the least) and the fingerprint password logon for any other users with accounts on this computer.

Windows 8:

Windows key + X > P (Opens the Control Panel) > set icon view >>

OR

Windows 7:

Control Panel > icon view >>

Biometric Devices > Change Biometric Settings > and Switch OFF Biometrics

• Restart / Reboot your computer and log in
  • Next:  Open the Control Panel > Biometrics and Switch ON the Biometrics
  • Restart / Reboot your computer and log in

=====================================================================================

Reset the BIOMETRICS and Repair SimplePass:

If the simple off / on reset of the BIOMETRICS does not fix the issue

then

repeat the procedure -- except: add the "Repair SimplePass" step shown below after you shut off the BIOMETRICS.

• Switch OFF the Biometrics,
  • Reboot the system and log in,
  • Complete the "Repair the SimplePass Software" procedure", including the Reboot **
  • Switch ON the BIOMETRICS
  • Reboot the system

** Repair the SimplePass Software Procedure

Windows 8

Windows key + X > F (Opens Programs and Features) >>

OR

Windows 7

Control Panel > Programs and Features >>

Next…

Scroll down and Look for HP SimplePass

Right-Click on HP SimplePass
Select "Repair"

Restart / Reboot the computer and Log in

RememberNever skip the suggested reboots.

======================================================================================

======================================================================================

Long Version

Following is a pretty inclusive procedure that may fix the issue.

Remove, Clean, and Install

Note that I have included the part about Exporting your Webcards as this is the usual "starting point".  I do understand that you may NOT be able to complete the Export step at this time -- keep the procedure in mind for when the software starts working again.

Export the Webcard Database

If you can, then you should first back up your Webcards (websites with passwords).   The following procedure requires that you remove any previous installations of SimplePass:  removing the software also removes the Webcards.

When you have working SimplePass software, Export your Webcards.  Webcards contain your websites and passwords.  In the event that you must ever remove the SimplePass software, your Webcard backup can be used (imported) to restore your website login information.

Start SimplePass > (**Settings) > Export     NOTE:  File will be named filename.tsd

1. Older Versions of SimplePass reference the Export command in the Settings menu in the top right
  2. Newer Versions may show the Export button in the lower left quarter section

Update this Export / Backup every so often and save it in a safe place.  Make sure the Export file is included in your computer’s daily or weekly backups. 

NOTE:  You may choose to create a printout of your Webcards.  The Websites AND the passwords are included in the printed page(s) in plain text:  Make sure you keep the printout in a SAFE PLACE and away from prying eyes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download the SimplePass Software for Windows 7 AND Windows 8

Do NOT yet install the HP SimplePass installation package.

sp61399 HP SimplePass V6.0.100.272 Win7-8

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove any previous / current installation of SimplePass software

Be Aware:  This is a complete removal of the SimplePass Software from your computer.  If you were unable to create an Export of your Webcards, understand that you will LOSE the passwords when you remove the SimplePass software.

Windows 8

Windows key + X > P (Opens the Control Panel> Programs and Features >

OR

Windows 7

Control Panel > set icon view > Programs and Features >

Next:

Scroll down and Look for HP SimplePass

Right-Click on HP SimplePass
Select "Uninstall"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove / Delete the AuthenTec Folders from your computer

If found on the system, then Delete the following folders: 

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AuthenTec
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AuthenTec

After the Uninstall of the Software and the possible removal of the folders

Yes, another reboot - this helps make sure that "everything is clean".

Restart / Reboot the computer and Log in

Reinstall your Existing Validity Sensor Driver (yes)

Windows 8:

Windows key + X > M (Opens the Device Manager) > Biometric Devices > Validity Sensor >>

OR

Windows 7:

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Validity Sensor >>

Next:

Right-Click on the Validity Sensor driver and "Uninstall" (do NOT delete it)

Install SimplePass

• Reboot / Restart the computer and Log in.  You will need to provide your typed Windows Password.
  • The Validity Sensor Driver will reinstall itself as you log into the computer.
  • Open your Downloads folder (or other location in which you keep downloaded files)
  • Install the SimplePass Software / Driver installation package:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package(s) and “double-click” to install, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

SimplePass Finish Work

• After the initial installation of SimplePass, complete this basic setup step:  Enroll your fingerprints
  • Reboot / Restart the computer and Log In - use the fingerprint option if it shows on the Logon Screen.
  • Open SimplePass and IMPORT your <filename>.tsd file (that contains your Webcards / passwords).
  • Reboot / Restart the computer and Log In.

Browser Considerations

Assuming one of the above fixes work, you may need to reinstall your Firefox or Internet Explorer, etc.  In many cases, you can reinstall the same or different version over the top of your current version  -- at least in this context -- and thereby resolve any left over access issues with SimplePass.

If you must reinstall your Internet Explorer OR your Firefox, then you should Export your Favorites / Bookmarks BEFORE you reinstall IE or Firefox.

Dragon Tip

If you are not using a current version of Firefox and you want to reinstall the same version you are using now, you can find an archive of previous Firefox versions.

Mozilla Firefox Archives - exe files
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

Example: Download release 12.0 for Windows (Use a slightly different path for Mac)
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/12.0/win32/en-US/

Done

Good Luck.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Your HP Experts are here to help.

Click the Kudos Star!  It is a great “Thank You” for the Author.

Solved?  Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to help others find a Fix.

Year of the Dragon 2012   Year of the Snake 2013

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
robamobabob
Message 3 of 4 (444 Views)

As I said, I've already tried reinstalling all the software and drivers. I've done exactly what you just said several times and it hasn't worked.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (430 Views)

Bob,

My apologies - I did not realize you have completed the suggested procedure prior to this.  If you have completed the steps in order and it didn't work, then it won't work with repetition unless you change the manner in which you are doing at least part of the procedure.  Apparently, the suggested fix is not "right" for your situation and I am sorry that is the case.

Without wasting your time further by changing small parts of the procedure to try and pry out the problem area, I cannot suggest anything more.

You still have options:

• Another forum Expert may have a fix -- I am only one of several people with experience in this area.  While most of us do not work for HP; many of the HP Experts on this forum are highly trained and are true system experts.  Someone may choose to step in.

One such Expert has written a excellent Guide to 6.x SimplePass:

HP Expert Daniel_Potyrala's

Guide to the Notebook Fingerprint Sensor - HP SimplePass version 6

• Order of Events is important -- if you installed your browsers before you installed SimplePass, this can mess up the SimplePass database.  Smart code, but fragile and fussy about the order in which things are done.

• You can try the following:  Do a Complete set of backups, and then do another personal backup to USB stick of your personal data and files, then do a Windows 8 Refresh.  The Refresh is an OS overload that leaves your personal data and files intact.  The standard Refresh DOES remove any personal programs not installed at factory or purchased from the Windows Store.  Details on request.

• You can call HP directly and ask for help.  HP has access to the code, HP have a massive database of "when this happens, do that", and they have experts that can advise you on other options if nothing works -- that is, if the issue cannot be repaired using standard procedures.

Contact HP - Worldwide

Contact HP – USA - Phone Assistance

USA / Canada with Warranty

E-mail HP for product support

USA /Canada – Contact HP // Self-Help – Email - Chat

I hope you find a resolution.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation