Question

Honor Student
appleboy2
Message 1 of 2 (103 Views)

Pavilion charger jack overheat

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion dv9700 notebook that has a strange problem. I got the laptop from a friend recently so I have no knowledge of when the problem started. When I plug the charger jack into the laptop, I have to wiggle it to make sure that it's getting the laptop enough current. I wiggle the plug until the blue ring around the jack lights up fully. It's very hard to get it in the right position, but when I do, the computer starts. Cut a long story short, using the computer for 10 minutes casually (browsing the web or writing a document) makes the plug borderline hot. Using the computer for 10 minutes heavily (writing CDs, playing graphics intensive games, watching movies) makes the plug so hot that I burned my hand on it. After further investigation, I noticed that the charger plug itself was ever so mildly bent, and that the jack in the laptop itself had a loose middle pin. I know that this has something to do with a large amount of current resistaince due to internal damage to either part. So where's the problem: in the jack, or in the charger plug?

HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 2 of 2 (50 Views)

Re: Pavilion charger jack overheat

Hello appleboy2,

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

Regards.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation