Pavilion dv3507ea 64 bit - RAM (and Win 7) upgrade (490 Views)
Intern
philco
Message 1 of 3 (490 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion dv3507ea 64 bit - RAM (and Win 7) upgrade

Hello,  It's a long time since I posted on here ... about a backlit keyboard on my dv3507.  The topic is still running almost two years later!!

I'm going to upgrade to win7 (perhaps I should of taken advantage of the upgrade offer some time ago from this site).  As well as upgrading to Win7 I am going to upgrade the ram.  Currently I have 2048 and a 1024 module fitted - that is both slots in the 3507 populated.  I plan to replace the 1024 module with 2048 one to give me 4gb.  I know the improvement will be negligible but I'm still happy to throw the money at it.. 

In the manual for the computer it says it is sodimm ddr2 6400 667.  I've run various 'analysers' including crucial and it says it is 6400 800.  I've checked the bios and the HP system tools to see if it tells me the clock speed of the installed memory but it doesn't seem to show it anywhere.  I don't know whether to believe the manual of the crucial memory analysor tool ... and at least 2 other tools that say it is 6400-800.  Only the manual says it is 6400-667.

I'm pretty sure that 667 and 800 can be fitted but with the 800 clocking at the slower speed (667). 

Has anybody here upgraded their ram?  If so have you used mixed speeds?  Any problems?  And any problems on upgrading the dv3507ea to Win 7?

Tks in advance.

Phil

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 3 (468 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv3507ea 64 bit - RAM (and Win 7) upgrade

Your laptop can be upgraded to windows 7 64bit with no issues. You can download drivers for your hardware over here.

To clear the confusion,In theory, when different speed RAM modules are used, all of the RAM should clock to the speed of the slowest module(Usually you will see this kind of limitation only on Intel systems).  

Your laptop supports both 667 and 800Mhz clock speeds and it wouldnt cause any problem if you use mixed speed memory modules but  I would suggest you to use all identical memory sticks with same clock speeds to get optimum performance. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Intern
philco
Message 3 of 3 (461 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv3507ea 64 bit - RAM (and Win 7) upgrade

Hi Kamat,

OK, tks very much for that.

Phil

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation