Question

Honor Student
chikibanana
Message 1 of 12 (10,921 Views)

Pavilion dv4 Cd drive not working

Hi guys about two months ago my cd drive decided to stop read my my cds as well as to stop burning disc. Ive tried updating it and cleaning the eye and i know that its not the cds because they  work on my desktop. the funny thing is that the drive does rotate the cds but it dont recognize it so the cds are in being rotated for like 3o mins and the laptop doesnt find anything. i dont know what to do and neither does my brother unfortunately i dont have the money to get a new drive so wat can i do ? PLEASE HELP

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 2 of 12 (10,901 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv4 Cd drive not working

Hi,

Check the computer page if the cd drive is being detected. Check device manager also for any errors under the cd/dvd rom drives.

Do you have itunes or  another burning software except for the one that came with the computer?

Try the registry fix here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Honor Student
chikibanana
Message 3 of 12 (10,893 Views)

@alt_164 Ive checked the computer page and its not detected, Ive also gone to the device manager and there are no errors at all when i saw that i updated the drive and it still persisted so i uninstalled it and installed it again and still nada 

Honor Student
winter19
Message 4 of 12 (10,885 Views)

try the fix mentioned in above post. Looks like the CD rom driver gets uninstalled when u install someother software.

I had this problem too last year and contacted HP support and to my surprise, the customer support person started Googling for fixes :smileyhappy:

I did that myself and found the above fix. It then started working again. I then called back and informed them the fix myself :smileyhappy:

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 5 of 12 (10,871 Views)

This is normally a conflict with itunes being installed on the laptop.

I cant seem to find the ms fix it for the registrty but try the link i posted above. Follow it carefully and it will be fixed in no time.

Honor Student
chikibanana
Message 6 of 12 (10,856 Views)

ok ima try it and ill let ya know

Honor Student
chikibanana
Message 7 of 12 (10,780 Views)

Hey guys well i tried it and it still hasnt work like im really questioning if i should get a new cd drive cause ive run out of ideas

Student
jabrego1981
Message 8 of 12 (9,452 Views)

I was having a problem with my CD drive (was not reading CD's and was getting an error message that no CD was found) after it had been working perfectly fine for some time. After reading these posts, I realized that my problem was more than likely related to installing iTunes. I went to the link you posted and followed the instructions. It worked! Thanks!

Student
Barbara4870
Message 9 of 12 (8,959 Views)

My disk drive is not reading my cds or movies.  Do I need to change the drive.  If so where is the best place to get a new one and how much?

Student
fattahaabdul
Message 10 of 12 (7,644 Views)

pls tell em how it will work

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation