Question

Top Student
Abhit
Message 1 of 26 (13,228 Views)

Pavilion dv5-1217ax: overheating problems,"speedfan" showing 65C+, without any usage,help!

A month or two ago, i bought an HP pavilion dv5- 1217ax lappy with following configs..

CPU:  AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core RM-72

Ram:  4GB

HDD:  320GB

Intregrated GPU: ATI HD 3450 512MB dedicated

Recently, i installed a temperature monitoring software "SpeedFan" and found that its  temperature was shooting to 65 Celsius and always above it.

Besides my cousins lappy thats a Dell Vostro 1400 always showing its temp from 45 to 50C max. I checked my Task Manager, and its showing

5 to 25% CPU usage. Well thats a normal thing for Windows Vista to work i think.

I checked my lappy's fan (its vents are below the whole lappy frame), and it was running quitely, silently but yes it was running. Beside this i googled around the net, and i found that most of the people worried about there noisy superfast fans.

But then again my fans are silent, with the lappy's temperature off to 65C. Its actually hotty from keypads, touchpad, the right side of lappy vents and above the multimedia controls ( touch controls for volume +/-).

What shall i do guys???

Its almost not workable with a heating lappy!!!:smileymad:

Plz guys.. suggest the soln fast. Thanks in advance...:smileyhappy:

Tutor
Lackooo
Message 2 of 26 (13,220 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv5-1217ax: overheating problems,"speedfan" showing 65C+, without any usage,h

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Hardware&thread.id=10727   :smileyvery-happy:
Top Student
Abhit
Message 3 of 26 (13,151 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv5-1217ax: overheating problems,"speedfan" showing 65C+, without any usage,h

hi lackooo, thanks for info,

but there should be some solution to the problem.

HP can't just make us foolass.

My friend's HP lappy with C2D pavilion dv5, gives the temp reading of 50 to 55C.

But as i told u, my cousin's lappy, its again a C2D system, but from Dell vostro series, and never heats up to 50C even in normal

working condition. plz help guys, if any one else is facing such kind of problem 

Tutor
Lackooo
Message 4 of 26 (13,145 Views)

[ Edited ]
Now I think this overheating 100% caused by missing paste. I removed the mobo and fan of my lappy, and theres no thermal paste on nothing dude!!! There was a little thermal gum only (AMD called it "thermal pad"), but it was melted around the processors core and then was consolidated. On the top of CPU there was nothing left, that caused the heat!!! I think HP wont uses thermal paste, instead of this uses thermal gum(pad), that easily melting by the AMD CPUs heat. :smileysad:
Message Edited by Lackooo on 06-28-2009 09:48 AM
Top Student
Abhit
Message 5 of 26 (13,132 Views)

Ya i got it!! thanks :smileyhappy:

Actually, Intel buddies use TIM(thermal induction material) for heat reduction, i didn't know, AMD guys r not using it :smileymad:!!!

so whats the solution now, how can we add the material to the processor, can we ask HP to do it for us???

I think thats why. AMD's temp is always high!!

i am not going to leave HP dudes!! :womanmad:

Tutor
Lackooo
Message 6 of 26 (13,126 Views)

I think if you call HP with this problem, they will be said you that your fans dirty, get to clean it, use power save mode, ect, bla bla... My plan is to call HP, tell them that my lappy is overheating, and cause of that always switching off. In this case I hope they bring my laptop to repair, and they remove the fan, it will be seen the melted gum, and replace it some better material, thermal paste, etc. Give it a try. :smileyvery-happy:
Top Student
bbmak1125
Message 7 of 26 (13,125 Views)

AMD usually temp usually much higher than Intel. However, I still suggest you to clean the heatsink, dusts built-up there after a while.

Tutor
Lackooo
Message 8 of 26 (13,122 Views)

[ Edited ]
lol, you told us same as cleaning sh#t, like HP. :smileyvery-happy: A brand new laptop is dirty too if very hot right? :smileyvery-happy: My 6 Months old lappy was very clean, but hot, hot, hot and hot, cause NO THERMAL PASTE there, just melted gum. Not caused by dust. Thats all. :smileyvery-happy:

Here's a video, it will show you HP's quality of cooling...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEIaQfwU2pA
Message Edited by Lackooo on 06-28-2009 09:50 AM
Top Student
bbmak1125
Message 9 of 26 (13,100 Views)

If you have taken apart your laptop, open the heatsink too, even only operating around 6 mths. I am sure there will be some dusts stucked inside the metal brackets there.

My only HP/Compaq(Presario 2100US) laptop has no thermal paste in there too. However, I added a thermal tape there when I upgraded my cpu.

Yes I think HP should consider about this problem too.

Top Student
Abhit
Message 10 of 26 (13,065 Views)

Thanks lackoo, for ur info over thrmal pad. googling around i found that, AMD uses thermal pads, whereas Intel uses thermal grease. and performence of grease is more than thrmal pad. and no way, we can replace pad with a grease, bcoz of the different dimension of both. what shall we do now???, HP are dump for the job!! also, we may void our warrenty, if we rip apart our lappy on our own!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation