Question

Honor Student
KCisme
Message 1 of 3 (1,690 Views)

Pavilion dv6-2044ca laptop screen won't turn on, unresponsive

Hi, I have an HP Pavilion dv6-2044ca laptop that was purchased in late 2009, running windows 7. It was working normally the other night when I went to get a drink, and when I came back the screen was off. I couldn't get the screen to turn back on by moving my mouse, so I shut the computer down and restarted it. When I started it back up, it sounded normal, but the screen continued to not turn on. I tried taking out the battery and holding the power button for the power reset method referenced often on these forums, to no avail. I hooked it up to an external monitor but nothing showed up. When turned on, the caps lock and num lock lights won't turn on, however the light indicating it's plugged in, the lights for sound and wifi, and the light indicating the mousepad is turned on all light up. I have made no changes to the hardware or software in weeks. I'm at a loss as to problem solving methods at this point, and would greatly appreciate a more experienced opinion on the matter!

Kevin

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 3 (1,682 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv6-2044ca laptop screen won't turn on, unresponsive

Try a hard reset. Remove battery and AC power. Hold down power button 30 seconds. Now put AC power to it and try to fire it up. It is a 100 to 1 longshot but worth trying. If that does not work it ain't sounding good. Maybe try removing and reseating the RAM sticks, but other than that a new motherboard might be the only fix. 

Honor Student
KCisme
Message 3 of 3 (1,668 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv6-2044ca laptop screen won't turn on, unresponsive

Thanks for the advice, I already tried the hard reset and it didn't work. I'll try the ram idea though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation