Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It shows my webcam under imaging devices and I can use Skype with it. I just don't see the MediaSmart anywhere and when I use the button for it, it no longer pops up. I have no clue how to gain access to my webcam outside of using Skype. How would I go about being able to use it? Do I have to buy an installation disc? 

HP Recommended

Welcome to the Forum,

Edited 22-nov-2011

Depending on your computer, you can get the MediaSmart software as a free download.  If that software was available with your system when it was sold by HP, the you can find it at your personal Web software and driver webpage.  If MediaSmart isn't available at your webpage, then YouCam will/should be there - either way, you'll have something you can use with your webcam.

Method ONE to find your webpage:

First look up your computer model - if you don't know it, here's help:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Use the model information to find your personal webpage:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=82710&h_client=S-A-R...

When you find your computer's page:  Go to  "Software and Driver Downloads" icon_software_and_driver_download.jpg

You'll need to know what kind of Windows Operating System you are running, including whether you have 32 or 64bit so you can download software for your computer.  Use the drop-down menu to enter that information.

Once you have told the page what kind of OS you are running, you are ready to find your software. 

Method TWO to find your webpage:

Make sure you are running the latest version of HP Support Assistant

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-support-assistant.html

Start the Assistant -> Get Assistance -> Access online resources for your PC

Download your Software:

If your computer was sold with MediaSmart software, you willl find it in the "Software - Multimedia" list. 

NOTE: If you are (re)installing more than one of the set, start with the "HP MediaSmart SmartMenu" package.

If you don't see MediaSmart, then you will see YouCam - this is your "replacement" software package for the MediaSmart.

What Next?

You can use either the MediaSmart webcam or the YouCam webcam software to "talk" to your webcam.  Your system may have a "MediaSmart" button - if so, then just press it to start the MediaSmart software experience and then click on the "webcam" icon selection.

If you do not find your webcam software right away, then look for it:

Start -> search/type MediaSmart -> select/Click the software

OR

Start -> search/type YouCam -> select/Click the software

What if NONE of the software works?

What if you cannot find your webcam?  What if it's not in your device manager listing?  It doesn't work?  Dead - nada, zip...

That's a totally different problem.  It could be a ratty driver - sometimes reloading a stubborn driver through the Device Manager will kick it.  There are a variety of posts on this;  I've written a couple of them - other's have done so as as well.   Do a search and read them if you have not done so (and if you wish).  There is a lot to try and something may work for you.  Don't give up right away - the drivers are stubborn and all computers are different.  Just because one solution didn't work for someone else doesn't mean it won't work for you.

On the other hand... there is a point of "Well, this isn't going anywhere fast."

I ended up sending my own (new) dv7 system in for hardware repair - it came out of the box with a DOA webcam.  Sad.  I am not going to get into a commentary on quality control.  It happened.  I had it fixed.  It works.  Moving on.

IMO:

Try everything to fix it with software - it's worth it because sometimes it's just the stupid drivers,

OR a user setting,

OR a computer curse,

then just replace the dead webcam with a good quality HP or Logitech 9000 USB webcam and be done with it,

OR send in the notebook for repair.

I hope this helps.

Click The Kudos for Thanks!       

Set Accept as Solution if it's Fixed!

Kudos are Earned!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I just bought a pavilion dv6 model (this is my 3rd pavilion since 2004)

But the same problem with web cam

Cyber link web cam do not recognize my web cam

tryed on Skype, MSN nothing at all

Can anyone give me some help

Win7

HP Recommended

Yeah, don't hold your breath. We all have the same problem and HP obviously doesn't give a rat's ass...

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion dv6-6155ee notebook, and for the past few weeks, I've been having trouble with my webcam. When I open HP Webcam, I get the following error message: "No video device detected. Please plug a video device into your computer. If you are using an integrated camera please make sure it is turned on." I have an integrated camera, and it (usually) turns on when the webcam application opens. I am running Windows 7, and have tried many things to fix it, to no avail. The webcam does not appear in Device Manager, under Imaging Devices nor any of the USB Root Hubs. So far, I have attempted to:

- Reinstalled the USB Root Hub Drivers

- Tried to fix the solution in BIOS (as another thread suggested)
- Attempted to use Recovery Manager to reinstall the driver (was not in the list)

- Created Recovery Disks to solve the problem (it didn't)

- Upgraded the MediaSmart Webcam software

HP Recommended

my friend it looks the same as in my case ... i returned the laptop b/c it is manufacturing problem and they change it with a new one. There is nothing else you can do ...

HP Recommended

Welcome to the Forum Qassim,

Maybe you can kick the driver from in the Device manager.  Try removing it and letting the system install it.

You can also try "updating" it from inside the driver.

First,

Close all extra processes:  browsers (IE, Firefox, Word, games...)

Control Panel -> icon view -> Device Manager -> Imaging Devices ->

HP TrueVision Webcam (or whatever your webcam is named)

Right-Click -> UNinstall

Reboot the notebook

AND

Control Panel -> icon view -> Device Manager -> Action -> Scan for Hardware Changes

That should kick and reinstall that driver.

You could also try (at the "Right-Click on the Webcam) to do an "Update" on that driver -  newer isn't always better, but in the case of webcam drivers, it's not usually a bad thing.

Want to see the YouCam software or other options for your computer?

See my previous post (updated today) for how to get to your software and driver download page.

I hope this helps!

Click The Kudos for Thanks!       

Click Accept as Solution if it's Fixed!

Kudos are Earned!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You took it back (to where?) and they replaced it?  Good for you, but I find that hard to believe, since HP doesn't seem to give a rat's ass that their laptop integrated webcams die.

Was it replaced by the store at which you purchased it or HP?

Any help, gracias!

HP Recommended

Greetings Mjm906,

I bought this notebook from hp.com - it's the fourth one, actually - plus a couple of desk tops and a bunch of extra bits over the years.  I'm a regular.  Smiling. 

The computer is new - just bought it in August of '11.  Webcam was DOA.  I just waited on it because I really didn't want to send it back and I just kept hoping it was software.... No Joy.

I "chatted" HP.  I told them what I'd done to diagnose the problem, and that I thought it was Hardware.  I wanted it fixed.  They sent a box (next day Fex-Ex). Actually, there was not argument - they know the webcams are trouble.  I was polite and firm and I'd done my homework. 

I backed up my system (made an image) to an external disk drive, stripped the OS back to Factory so I wasn't sending them any of my data.  I put the computer in the box they sent and off it went.   It took about a week - no cost.  Came back and I loaded my image - back in business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edits 28-Nov-2011:

I have to qualify the statement about "No Cost": I purchased a "Care Pack" with this Notebook.  I do this with all new notebook purchases, it is a personal choice.  Notebooks ordinarily come with one year of hardware and software coverage anyway - the Care Pack includes 2nd day "on site", that is, the Fed-Ex shipped box and such.  One may have to pay for such mail exchange service outside of this coverage - I honestly do not know the answer to that.  I paid up front for everything when I purchased the contracts for my equipment so none of this is "free" - it's just "hassle free" when/if I require service.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do agree that the webcams are fragile, fussy, and prone to easy breakage.  The webcam on the dv7t was DOA and I never even looked crossways at it.  Smiling.  I didn't care for tearing apart my system and sending it in for repair right after I bought it, either.  But, it's fixed and it was painless (mostly) - and the service was excellent. 

I was in IT for a long time.  I think HP cares about their products.  Tthe people that have to take care of HP products are not the same people who are making the decisions on what goes into them.

I know it sounds like an endorsement - so, NO, I've never worked for HP and I do not work for them now.  I'm safely retired.  I've just been on that side of the river.  Smiling.

IMO:

There are couple of places where the camera is likely to break or come loose - at the motherboard connection, or near the neck where the camera connects.  The camera itself might fail, it's more likely the tiny little cable will be loose.  If you take a look how it is put together through the hinge mechanism and how it is connected, it is not surprising they come loose.  It's more of a prayer than a real solid connection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a dead webcam and NOTHING you've done has fixed it, check to see if your computer has any warranty time on it.  HP boxes come with one year of hardware warranty on them (at least in the USA).  It's standard.

To check your warranty status, make sure you have the latest HP Support Assistant installed on your system:

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-support-assistant.html

Once the Assistant is installed, call it up.  On the first page, on the bottom - center is a button named Warranty.  Click it and let the Assistant check your status.  If the status cannot be checked for any reason, you can always call or CHAT with HP directly and ask them about your warranty status.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What IF?

IF all is lost AND you REALLY want that webcam fixed...

The webcam is dead,

There is no warranty,

You cannot afford to send it in (or you are located out on the edge of NoWhere);

And you are far up that old creek:

THEN:

Think about taking apart the laptop and fixing it yourself. 

Do NOT do this unless you can put it back together.

If you do this and you break your computer, being up a creek without a webcam will look good.

First, look on your personal HP webpage for the hardware manual - the full service manual so you know what you are going to be looking at.  (You may need to order parts.)  The last page of the HP Support Assistant > Get Assistance has a link to your Web page > "Get online resources for your PC".  Click on it and it will open your page.  On the right side you should see a link to your manuals.  Some models have a "Full service hardware" type manual that has a full breakdown of the parts that are in the computer.

Check out this link on taking apart your laptop:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-hp-pavilion-dv6-laptop/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be cool to have a tiny external webcam that slips into the USB port.  It would have to be somewhat multi-directional (swivel), have a speaker, and it's own drivers... I bet it would sell.  Anyone want to build it?

So, that's the Webcam Caper...

:generic:

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
PC World gives y an option that if something is faulty anc y return it within 20 days they change it with a new one. I had try all the possible solutions but in most cases is hardware problem
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.