Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv6-7029wm

It has been two years since I bought the laptop, and I finally realized I need to open up the computer to clean the fan properly. However, my laptop does not have an access panel for the cooling fan - so I tried to dissassemble it with the help of the manual.

However, the procedure needed to get to the fan itself is very long and complicated, as can be seen here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03582006.pdf

Is there any other easier way to get to the fan? Do I have to go through this everytime I want to clean the fan?

Also, I am stuck at the part where the keyboard needs to be removed. Is the keyboard supposed to be hard to remove? Because when I try to remove it, it seems as if it may bend and break.

I wish I could post pictures...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I never take a notebook apart to clean the fan.

Here is what I do...

Unplug the A/C adapter and remove the battery.

Find a thin object such as a straight pin to place thru the fan intake vent and make sure it goes between two of the fan blades to keep the fan from spinning.

Get one of those cans of compressed air for dusting and spray it into the fan intake and fan exhaust a few times, watching for the dust to blow out of the vents.

When I don't see any more dust blowing out, I consider the job completed.

Reconnect the battery and a/c adapter.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I never take a notebook apart to clean the fan.

Here is what I do...

Unplug the A/C adapter and remove the battery.

Find a thin object such as a straight pin to place thru the fan intake vent and make sure it goes between two of the fan blades to keep the fan from spinning.

Get one of those cans of compressed air for dusting and spray it into the fan intake and fan exhaust a few times, watching for the dust to blow out of the vents.

When I don't see any more dust blowing out, I consider the job completed.

Reconnect the battery and a/c adapter.

HP Recommended

Would you do this with the laptop still on?

HP Recommended

Please re-read what I wrote...The notebook will not be running with no A/C power or battery connected.

Shut it down first.

HP Recommended

Okay thanks for the tip. The highest temperatures I've seen my HP Pavilion dv6's four CPU cores at is 72C, should I be concerned?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the normal operating temperature range of the processor or GPU chip should be.

HP Recommended

I used essentially the same process to clean my fan area.

I disconnected the AC adaptor & removed the battery.

I did not jam the fan since I did not want to stick anything metalic in there; there is a coin battery inside (for the clock?) & I didn't want to take any chances shorting anything. I probably could have used a broom straw to stop the fan but I didn't think of that till later.

I blew the air can into the fan exhaust slots (near the VGA port)

At the same time, I used my shop vac to suck the loosened dust out through the air intake on the bottom, nearest the fan. I held the vac about 1/2 inch away so I didn't suck any components out of the PCB :<)

This prevents the dust from being blasted all over the inside of the PC & causing the overheating problem to return.

Some of the dust was in clumps which were too big to go out through the intake slots, but I was able to pick them out with a small jeweller's screwdriver; the vac suction kept them where I could reach them & pick them out.

The laptop used to shut down in 15 minutes; I would get a screen that the PC was shut down due to temp over 90 degrees C.  Now, it barely gets warm after 2 hours of steady use.

HankC, Boston

HP Recommended
The highest I've seen is 92C... should I be worried
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.