Question

Tutor
joelstitch
Message 1 of 9 (4,463 Views)

Pavilion dv6629us battery not charging

[ Edited ]

About a week and a half ago my laptop stopped charging my battery, it detects the battery and it says is charging but its not actually charging the battery. I did a BIOS update and still the same problem, I also turned off the computer to see if the battery would charge when the computer was off but no luck. I tried to charge the battery on Ubuntu and on Windows 7 and it does the same thing. I ran the HP Battery Check and it tells me:

An error was encountered trying to access the battery. Please reinsert the battery and the AC adapter to retest the battery.

I have a brand new battery so I know is not the battery. I removed the battery and reinserted it and it still does the same thing. When I click on the bottom right corner battery icon it says that is plugged in and charging. Whats wrong?

Here are some screenshots:

Windows 7

Ubuntu 11.04 - the Natty Narwhal

In Ubuntu Linux I get this battery status on the Terminal:

Battery Check

present:                 yes
design capacity:         6000 mAh
last full capacity:      unknown
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          14800 mV
design capacity warning: 250 mAh
design capacity low:     150 mAh
cycle count:		  0
capacity granularity 1:  10 mAh
capacity granularity 2:  25 mAh
model number:            Primary
serial number:            
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                Hewlett-Packard

Current battery state

present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charging
present rate:            unknown
remaining capacity:      0 mAh
present voltage:         0 mV

Tutor
joelstitch
Message 2 of 9 (4,414 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv6629us battery not charging

I really need to get this fixed. I havent had this computer long and I treat it great so I dont see how could this has happen :smileysad:

Tutor
joelstitch
Message 3 of 9 (4,377 Views)

Now I am getting this on Windows 7:

Tutor
joelstitch
Message 4 of 9 (4,329 Views)

Anybody?

Tutor
joelstitch
Message 5 of 9 (4,289 Views)

Wow this is amazing, still no answers.

Tutor
joelstitch
Message 6 of 9 (4,227 Views)

Please help!

Honor Student
Komal
Message 7 of 9 (4,136 Views)

THIS IS THE SOLUTION AND IT WILL TAKE 90 SECONDS TO FIX

Power management software in Windows Vista

Understanding battery charging issues
If the notebook battery is not charging or the notebook does not indicate that the battery is charging, the most likely scenario is that the battery itself is operating correctly, but its power management software may have become corrupt. In order to correct the problem, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the power management software by using the Device Manager. This document will explain how to uninstall and reinstall the ACPI Battery listings in Windows Vista, as well as how to obtain and install updated BIOS files, if needed to correct other battery issues.
Uninstalling and reinstalling power management software in Windows Vista
In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
2. Expand the Batteries category.
3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

Tutor
joelstitch
Message 8 of 9 (3,869 Views)

That did not help. I even changed the CD-In Power Jak in the laptop thinking that would fix the issue but the battery is still not charging! What else could it be? This is driving me insane!

Tutor
rgmcatarino
Message 9 of 9 (2,607 Views)

If you already have checked the problem is not the battery ( usually when the battery is new or when the battery is charged on another notebook), or the AC to DC converter, then you must check this first:

1) Remove your battery,

2) Unplug your power cord from the notebook,

3) Push the power button for 15 seconds (if necessary you can hold down for 1 minute),

4) Plug the power cord into the notebook,

5) If the power led is on, your power adapter is probably working,

6) Push the power button,

7) If the computer powers on, your power adapter is probably working ( it's more certain than before),

8) Try to use the computer,

9) After Windows finished the entire start up process, you must insert the battery,

10) It's expected that the battery icon shows charging.

If it happens to you,  therefore the problem is in the motherboard. The exact point it is in the ICC responsible for check and control the status of the battery. Up to know I don't know where is located the fault ICC. This fault ICC is a Voltage Comparator, usually it is an Operational Amplifier.

If you remove the powerplug the computer will start to drain the battery until the end, but if you reinsert the powerplug  the computer WILL NOT detect, and it will continue to drain the battery until the end.

If you remove the battery with the powerplug inserted, the computer will turn off, cause it doesn´t recognize the power source from the cordplug.

Remove the power plug, insert it again without the battery and the computer must be able to turn on.

If you turn on the computer, and after this you insert the battery than the computer will start to charge the battery.

Resume:

A) To charge the battery you must insert the battery after the computer it is on.

B) To use the battery power you must disconnect the power cord, but you won't be able to charge it until you turn off the computer  and remove the battery, and to follow the step A.

I verified that the problem happens to all DV6000 ( DV60xx ), DV6100 ( DV61xx ), DV6200 ( DV62xx ), DV6300 ( DV63xx ), DV6400 ( DV64xx )and DV6500 ( DV65xx ) series.

My case is a HP Pavilion DV6104eu, that I bought in UK.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation