Question

Student
rmummah
Message 1 of 4 (1,853 Views)

Pavilion dv7-1285dx keyboard

Hi.  I bought this dv7-1285dx a while back.  I loved the screen size and all the hardware that was included.  In my research of other purchasers, I read that the bronze color was really nice.  I ddn't really care about the bronze color, but it was a nice touch.  Now that I have operated the machine for 6 months or so, I am either really stupid or very disappointed.  The keyboard is OK in perfect light, but as theambient light changes, the ability to read the keys goes to ZERO.  I have to turn on a lamp behind me to use the machine at all.  Please tell me that this keyboard is "backlit" and I just do not know how to adjust the keyboard brightness.

If there is no backlit option, can I get another more visible keyboard?  Maybe HP could sell a lamp that I could mount behind me.

As of now, there is no way yo operate this machine in a less that totally lit-up room.

Honor Student
escapism2to1
Message 2 of 4 (1,844 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7-1285dx keyboard

This is a darned good point.  I absolutely love this laptop (specifically now since I installed Windows 7 on it) and was sold on it b/c of the 6Gigs of memory, hard drive space and processor.  But the icing on the cake was the way it looked - sleek & sexy.  A few weeks into using it,though,  I realized two important things it was lacking - built in bluetooth hardware and a backlit keyboard!!  This thing looks great but it's impossible to see the keyboard keys in less than adequate light.  I too have to use a lamp when working on it at night.  It's a bit dissapointing.  Good thing I know the keyboard by heart, but when you're reaching for the insert, delete, home, end, pg up, pg dn keys, there could be potential problems trying to find them in the dark.

Hmm, I don't think there's any real solution other than a good night light or lamp. :smileysad:

Student
kevins432
Message 3 of 4 (1,425 Views)

I had to work on one of these laptops for hours and it took me about 2 minutes to realize the shortfall of this keyboard.  It's true about not being able to see anything unless the lighting is perfect.  I have never seen anything like it before. I looked around for a replacement of a different color to no avail. 

I'm beginning to wonder if there would be a possibility of buying another keyboard with different colored keys(Black keys/white letters) and pop off each bronze key and swap in the new black/white keys.  It probably would be pretty ugly but at least I could compute without getting pissed off because I can't see the keys.

Honor Student
laurynd
Message 4 of 4 (66 Views)

I agree with all the comments relating to the keyboard on the DV7-1285dx, it is TERRIBLE. It's so bad that it seriously takes away from what could have been one of the nicest PCs I've ever worked on (and between work and home, that's a lot).

More disappointing is that not a single HP employee or expert addressed the original comment at all. I still have buyers remorse and wish I would have taken this back the moment I realized you couldn't see the keys under normal lighting and to add insult to injury, there's no backlighting for the keys and since there's no key guide, while trying to find a backlight, if you press the wrong key, your screen goes completely black and the only way to correct it is to reboot. The laptop is great, but the keyboard and HP Support are atrocious for this item. My replacement PC ended up being a Mac, which kicks this thing in the behind. It's quiet and they keys are backlit AND I don't run into black screen issues. Would be nice if someone would actually respond to this issue and offer some support/workaround.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation