Question

Honor Student
MountainGuy
Message 1 of 4 (1,243 Views)

Pavilion dv7 (new) Keyboard Problems

3/15/11    I have a brand new dv7-4287, purchased thru Sam's Club.  It is less than ten days old, and am having ALL of the same problems many others have described:  spacebar is the WORST, but shift keys and other keys do it sporadically, too.  Spent 1hr with a very helpful Tech Support guy last night, uninstalling BIOS and Touchpad drivers, then dowloading and reinstalling new drivers for both.  T.S. guy was awesome, not his fault, but the reinstalls did NOT solve my problems at all.  Spacebar seems to have big "dead" areas where no matter how many times I strike it, it won't advance the cursor.  Other areas it works pretty well.  My right shift key only works if I am very careful to hold it down for a second before typing the letter that I want in Caps.  The left shift key works, then doesn't work, then works..... on and off.   Some other keys work with very little stroke pressure, and some need to be hit hard.  What is annoying is that in this $1,1000 computer there is NO consistency to the keyboard and touchpad problems.   The store demo seemed to work fine, but maybe I didn't really give it a thorough test and would have noticed if I had typed more and cruised around Win7 less.   This is definitely a mechanical issue, not a software driver issue.   What are my options, other than to return it for another one or a refund? Also am wondering how long it will be before my keys start to wear and become unreadable as others have mentioned, or just fall off altogether.  REALLY disappointed in HP quality out of the box.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 4 (1,209 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7 (new) Keyboard Problems

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You may return it to the shop and ask for a refund.

Resource:

What is the Sam's Club return / refund policy?

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Honor Student
MountainGuy
Message 3 of 4 (1,198 Views)

Thanks. I am aware of the Sam's Club return policies.  The problem is, I basically really like this laptop, and I will have to drive 85 miles one-way to return it and get a new one in exchange, if they still have them in stock.  Big investment in time and gas. 

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 4 (1,171 Views)

Maybe you may send it to them and get other the same way.
Call them and ask what are your options.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation