Pavilion dv7 sticky key fix? (3665 Views)
lbb Tutor
Tutor
lbb
Message 1 of 6 (3,665 Views)

Pavilion dv7 sticky key fix?

Within the last day, the period key on my pavilion dv7 has gone funny -- when clicked normally, it doesn't click, and it feels like the key is no longer properly mounted.  It will work if tapped rather forcefully, but it isn't right and I'd like to fix it.  I'm guessing maybe a small bit of lint has gotten into the works, maybe?  Is there some method for removing and replacing keys on this keyboard that I should know, other than the old-skool "stick a nerd screwdriver under one edge and pry it up and then jam it back into place" method?

Thanks in advance,

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (3,650 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7 sticky key fix?

Hi,

Watch the video tutorial to see how it is done.

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

lbb Tutor
Tutor
lbb
Message 3 of 6 (3,646 Views)

Hi Erico,

That explains how to install a replacement key, but I'm not even sure that will be necessary  What I need to know, before getting to that part, is what is the SAFE WAY to remove a key cap on an HP pavilion dv7.  There is no point in removing it if I just make it more broken in the process.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (3,644 Views)

If you don't feel comfortable removing the key then take it to a shop.

Either embrace DIY or pay someone to have it done. There is no halfway. 

Removing the key is the only way. That is the technology.

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
archerarcher98
Message 5 of 6 (3,631 Views)

You will need to take the computer some where to get it fixed in the right way

lbb Tutor
Tutor
lbb
Message 6 of 6 (3,620 Views)

Erico, I don't have a problem with "embracing DIY" as you put it.  I'm just asking what's the right way to REMOVE THE KEY CAP.   DIY doesn't mean that you just wing it, it means that you try to find out what's the right way to do something before you just tear into it.  If I do need to replace the key, then I will of course need instructions for installing a new one, but I'm not at that point yet.  All I need to know at this point, one more time, is WHAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO REMOVE A KEY CAP ON A HP PAVILION DV7.  if you know the answer to that question, I'd be grateful for the answer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation