Question

Honor Student
opereznet
Message 1 of 5 (3,624 Views)

Pavilion dv8000 - power led starts blinking - no bios startup

Hi, my laptop turns power on but the power led begins to blink and doesn't make anything. I was letting the power on for a minutes, then turned  back on and most of the time worked but right now the failure is permanent, I can leave the laptop turned on for days, the power led blinks all the time and doesn't work anymore... please help!!

Intern
AeSix
Message 2 of 5 (3,606 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv8000 - power led starts blinking - no bios startup

You can try a couple of things,

1) With the laptop off, Make sure nothing else is plugged in to the laptop, and if you have any cards in the slots on the sides, take them out too. turn it back on and see if it works.  press some keys on the keyboard, touch the touchpad and click the mouse buttons.

2) remove the battery and unplug the power cord from the laptop, hold the power button in for a count of 60 then plug the power cord in (do not put the battery in) and turn the laptop on.Press buttons, keys and the touchpad again. See if this works.

2b) Repeat the above, but this time replace just the battery and not the power cord

2c) Repeat #2, but this time hold the power button in again for a minute after you plugged it back in

3) NOTE: This step  isn't for the casual computer user! This is where you would start removing components, such as the wifi card, CD/DVD drive, harddrive, and try. Then test the memory modules one at a time with nothing else.  If this is beyond what you're comfertable doing, a lot of PC repair shops will diagnose a problem for very little (and sometimes free, especially if you have them fix the problem)

Hope this helps!

AeSix

Honor Student
opereznet
Message 3 of 5 (3,585 Views)

I appreciate your comments AeSix, I'll give a try and see if works, I'll let you know

Thanks a lot

Student
20Hertz
Message 4 of 5 (3,322 Views)

Pardon me for the intrusion... I have a similar problem like this. Solutions above did not work. Any one from HP knows a solutioin for this problem? :mansad:

Honor Student
peter_moulin
Message 5 of 5 (3,142 Views)

The issue is with the cable between the power supply and the PC, on the power supply side. This cable is of coaxial type and the external part start to brake, introducing some resistance in the cable. That is why the bios detect a faulty power supply and the indicator start blinking. It is impossible to detect the cause under the insulating plastic of the wire

To repair the cable, is not an easy task, but if you feel like it, you can do it. I have just been through it with success.

you need to open the power supply (cut the plastic carefully along each side, just the plastic, not the inside of course). open the two plastic caps and you get access to the electronic. there you need to unsolder the wire, cut the loose part, insulate properly and resolder.

Works fine again, as brain new.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation