Pavilion zv6000 shuts off on XP install (920 Views)
Honor Student
im_rf
Message 1 of 4 (920 Views)

Pavilion zv6000 shuts off on XP install

I'm working on a zv6000 and whenever I try to install XP from the HP discs it shuts off for no reason. I never completes the install and most of the time it barely makes it past the first screen. Any ideas?

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 4 (918 Views)

Re: Pavilion zv6000 shuts off on XP install

Assuming the system POSTS and enters the BIOS, the most likely cause of troubles loading an OS are bad memory and a bad hard drive, in that order. Loading an OS is a particularly tough workout for memory. You can get a program called memtest86, download the free .iso and burn the disk, boot from it, let it run a few hours and it will tell you if you have trouble with the memory. There are similar methods of checking the hard drive. On a zv6000 I might also add overheating as a third thing to chase down. Most of the zv6000s I see need to have the processor cleaned out and new thermal paste applied.

Honor Student
im_rf
Message 3 of 4 (913 Views)

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, the laptop shuts off right after the XP install finishes loading the drivers on the boot. There really isn't anything stressful going on that I could see causing the CPU to overheat, or the memory to be stressed.

I upgraded the RAM, and even the old stuff does the same thing. I did take the HDD out and do a bunch of tests with it and everything said it was ok. I also tried a different HDD and it did the same thing.

Student
Goodolgilbo
Message 4 of 4 (859 Views)

I have the same situation, HP Pavilion ZV6000 shuts down for no reason just after having fully copied the Windows files that are necessary for the complete reinstallation of the system. This computer warms up much while working, I agree, and this would explain why it shuts down randomly, sometimes at the very first steps of the process, sometimes at the very end (frustrating).

Have you made it throughout the whole process though? any conclusion?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation