Pavilion zx5000 power jack issues (9827 Views)
Student
prashanth_d_s
Message 11 of 25 (4,347 Views)

Re: Pavilion zx5000 power jack issues

[ Edited ]

Hi all, even i had the power jack problem for about a year's time now..a really exasperating problem!! In fact, initially, I wasn'e even sure if this was a power socket problem - I thought that some semiconductor device in the power supply section of the mother board was malfunctioning as the laptop warmed up. But finally with some more tests I found out that this could be a power socket problem. My ZV5000 laptop is 6 years old now. But I found my solution - 

I opened up the laptop, de-soldered the powerjack, soldered two wires to the PCB and hooked it to an external jack which i bought in the electronics shop for $1. The wires are about 6cm in length, and the "new" jack *hangs* out from the power jack hole. Not a very pretty solution --- but robust.  My problem with the power jack is now fully solved!!  Here are some pictures 1 2

Eventually, I plan to make a permanent solution to this by mounting the $1 power socket with a nut  in the empty slot above the CD tray (shown here), and solder a pair of teflon insulated- silver coated wires (can be bought very cheap, 1$ per meter) from the socket to the PCB.  This way, nothing will "hang out" from the laptop. The reason for teflon insulated wire is that teflon is immune to heat (does not melt at all) and is tough, and silver coated wire can carry more current for a given thickness.. the current can be as high as 10A.

Message Edited by prashanth_d_s on 07-03-2009 06:43 AM
Student
coach02740
Message 12 of 25 (4,187 Views)

prashanth_d_s: do you have any photos of disassembling the laptop in order to get at the internal jack?  I've gingerly disaasembled mine to a point that it seems I can go no farther due to inaccessability to a couple of key screws.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Student
tjinidaho
Message 13 of 25 (4,149 Views)

I have an HP Pavilion dv 1000 that I've had for 3 or 4 years now, LOVE laptop, BUT WHAT IS WITH THE POWER CORD?!?!  I'm on my FOURTH POWER CORD because...the overheating began a LONG time ago.  If it's been fixed, I'll consider buying another HP when this one finally poops out.  But if not, I'll never buy another HP, because the troubles and inconvenience I've experienced from this issue are not worth it!  I've had to restore my system, losing all  but a few files that were recovered after PAYING for Best Buy to perform their special services (don't recall the title) about $200.  Finally have had to spend my own $85 on a cord that does not overheat.  Why didn't HP send that to me for free to resolve the issue???  You can see melting on the computer where the power cord plugs in!!  HAHAHA!  This new cord that I purchased myself is an "HP Notebook 90W Smart AC Adapter."

Thanks HP...not

Student
Jesusfreak66
Message 14 of 25 (3,367 Views)

I just got done replacing a broken power jack on my ZX5000. I am still not getting the battery to charge or the laptop to run on ac at all. I can measure 18.5V at the output of the AC adaptor, so I assume that is functioning ok. What else could be preventing the laptop from working on AC or charging the battery? Is it possible that the AC adaptor could be outputting the proper voltage and still be defective?

Honor Student
Sammydad1
Message 15 of 25 (2,833 Views)

Re: Pavilion zx5295us power jack issues

Hi,

I have a ZX5295us that I have fixed several times now, and it it is needing fixed again....  The last fix I resorted to using a much higher temperature solder bacuse the problem is that the power supply heats up the solder joint so high that the solder melts away over time leaving it prone to any little movement interrupts the connection.

Each toime I fix it, it lasts about 3 months and then starts to flake-out once again.

At this point I went a bought a new laptop....NOT an HP, but I would like to fix this thing so at least I can sell it....of course I could use it to lift weights so I can be buff again like in my youth.....

I think I am going to go with the pigtail fix this time..... Have to do a radio shack run I guess.....

Honor Student
Sammydad1
Message 16 of 25 (2,775 Views)

Re: Pavilion zx5295us power jack issues -- FollowUp

Hi,

Well it has been a couple days since I did Pigtail surgery on the power jack.....  So far so good !!  As others have mentioned, I tie-wrapped the pigtail to the laptop air vent "slats" to give the pigtail some physical support....

I soldered on to the free pigtail end an "M" power connector (female) so that I could use my factory connector on the power brick/adapter.  Altho it seems that some of the connectors use an "N" size (male)....so I am a little perplexed....

But so far ti works !!  Have to see for how long....  My other repairs lasted about 2 to 3 months before flaking out....But I am hopeful about this as with the power jack removed, it prevents to torsional flexing of the jack on the motherboard....

I used a rubberized glue to help keep the pigtail wire in place on the motehrboard.  I fed the pigtail out of the laptop thru the hole originally used for the power jack.  I installed a tie-wrap on the pigtail inside the housing to help prevent the pigtal from being yanked and pulling out.....

Student
sortedchewbacca
Message 17 of 25 (1,435 Views)

hi bud ive got the same problem my dc jack is knackerd can you send some info of how to put an a dc jack on the space above the dvd tray as im sick of this problem cheers bud

Student
BurningMoose
Message 18 of 25 (1,191 Views)

I know this is an old issue bit I thought I'd post in case there's more like me out there.  I've had my laptop for some time obviuosly, it's gone from a great replacement desktop computer to a work one that I use to do simple programming of dsp's.  Because of the video limitations it's obsolete.  Anyway my power started fluctating a year ago.  My battery had went completely dead so I made my company buy me a replacement.  While waiting on the replacement the power problem got worse and without a battery would just shut the laptop down.  I got the battery and this helped of course but at one point I couldn't even get the charge to stay.  I'm a technician with an electronics background and build my own pc's so I figured I could handle it.  the first thing I checked was to make sure everything was making metal to metal contact.  There was no broken wires in my power cord in the tip,, no loose metal inside the plug on the computer.  I noticed the center pin on the plug inside the computer itself was loose.  Problem found, simple solution, challenging work. Here's the challenge,, take the laptop apart as far as you can get it,, get the mainboard in hand so you can identify the solder joints.

It took me 2hrs to get to the mainboard.  Partially because I took my time, partially because I was watching TV to keep it from boring me.  Every screw you can find has to come out.  The hard drive (easy), the dvd drive, the keyboard,  video display,,, keep going take it all out.  After the first hour I was almost done but I still couldn't get one corner of the mainboard to pull from the remaining case so I had to keep flipping and looking as I didn't want to break any traces on the board by putting so much pressure on it trying to pry it out.  Finally success.  And yes, the copper pin of the charging port was stickingg through the board but the solder had deteriorated and it was moving freeling.  I warmed my iron, and 1 minute later my repair was done.  I also repaired a going bad USB port that was about to do the same thing while I was at it. 

Now the hardest of all the challenge. Put it all back together and make sure it works.  This took about 1hr and I have about 5 screws leftover.  I know where 3 of them go and I'm not willing to go far enough into the thing to put them back in and they aren't holding anything important in my opinion LOL.  I plugged up a power supply and the lightning bolt lights up and I wiggle the cord until it almost makes me giggle that the problem is gone :-P. 

Is it worth it?  It's a free fix.  But, do you have the time and patience I dunno.  My work furnishes me with webook that just blows so I refuse to use it and this zv is still purring quickly for me.  I wished I could run 64bit Windows on it because I loaded XP64 once and it is still a fantastically fast computer running 64.  The problem is you can't get drivers for half of the programs running under 64.  You can't load Windows 7 because the video card sucks so bad.  So, stuck with a 64 bit processor running at 32 for life.  Anyway back to is it worth repairing?  If all your doing is browsing the web, simple games, and such of course it's still a completely valid computer.  If you're expecting to photo edit, and churn throgh huge programs then naa go ahead and replace it.  Otherwise,, at least make an effort why not??? You might learn something.

Top Student
ladyrebel113065
Message 19 of 25 (1,114 Views)

Actually, HP HASN'T addressed their ongoing "power jack" issue because I just bought one of the "newer" HP laptops and I am havng the EXACT same problem as the ZV5000. Also, I am currently included in a mass class-action lawsuit against HP for both knowingly selling faulty equipment and their negligence in refusing to rpair them or honor any warranties! So, on that note, I'd say it looks like the problem is STILL at hand!

Honor Student
frlnce
Message 20 of 25 (1,029 Views)

I have tried several times to take apart the unit, a zx5078cl, but every time I keep getting stuck where I cannot access the power port. I'm not too sure about removing the display screws at the hinges, and so far I have not gotten the keyboard to come off either. I repair computers, but not much on tearing laptops apart.

Can you suggest where I can see exploded views of screws to remove, or have instructions somewhere that may help me a bit?

Thanks!!!

Frlnce

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation