Question

Student
Vineyard
Message 1 of 11 (17,395 Views)

Pavillion 9500 Laptop doesn't recognize cd/dvd drive

My laptop doesn't even recognize my cd drive, it doesn't show up anywhere, in My Computer, or in Explorer. In Media player it says I need a cd player.  I bought a new CD/DVD drive but it isn't recognized either.  The CD will is spinning when I open it and when I put a cd in teh green light on the drive door flashes green a few times so I know it is getting power but nowhere does it show up as existing.  Under system tools it does not show up.  Using Vista.  Any ideas.  I even went to a Microsoft Automated help page and did the diagnostics but it said I didn't have a cd drive.
Honor Student
MissKittie
Message 2 of 11 (17,214 Views)

Re: Pavillion 9500 Laptop doesn't recognize cd/dvd drive

I'm having the same issue. HP DV6500. Vista. Drive spins and tries to read but the computer does not recognize that it's there. Tried putting in another drive, also has power but computer does not read it. Tried Microsoft Fix it but again, nothing. Tried deleting filters, there were none to delete. Tried system restore and had lower filter but not upper...deleted it and restarted. Still nothing. I've seen that there are a very very good many people with this problem but no one seems to have a solution for it. It would be nice to know if I'm wasting my time and should just somewhere to have the motherboard looked at or buy an external drive...
Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 3 of 11 (17,211 Views)

This is usually  a known software conflict and happens across the board will all computer manufacturers due to a issue with multiple media burning/ripping applications being installed on your system.

You can either run this file, go online to Microsoft's site for a fix, or manually fix it by following the instructions below:

Manually delete the registry entries

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
Note Before you use this method, uninstall all CD or DVD writing or recording programs. Deleting the corrupted registry entries might cause problems with any other CD or DVD writing or recording programs that are installed on your computer. Uninstalling these programs before you start will help you avoid any problems that removing the registry entries might cause. You can reinstall these programs after the problem is resolved.

This method provides step-by-step instructions for how to use Registry Editor to delete the following corrupted Registry entries:
  • UpperFilters
  • LowerFilters

Step 1: Start Registry EditorStart Registry Editor
Start Registry Editor...type "regedit" into the run box on the start menu.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
  3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
  4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
  5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
    • If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
    • If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
  1. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.

Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.

If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
  2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  3. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
  4. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer

Restart your computer. After you have done this, try to access the CD or DVD drive. If you can access the CD or DVD drive, and if you do not receive an error message, the problem is resolved. You can reinstall your CD or DVD writing or recording software.

Honor Student
Katya40
Message 4 of 11 (17,188 Views)

I have a Pavilion dv6647 laptop that suddenly stopped recognizing the cd/dvd drive.  I installed 64 bit Windows 7 from a bootable thumb drive I made, thinking that the new operating system might correct the behavior.  It did not.  I can get a refurbished motherboard for $120, but don't know if that will really help.  Another working drive alsodid not work although there was electricity going to them both.  Should I try your fix?  Will it work with Windows 7?  The laptop had 32 bit Vista on it before.
Honor Student
MissKittie
Message 5 of 11 (17,168 Views)

Thanks Kalt but like I said, I already tried all that and it does not fix the issue.
Student
FROGHOLLOW
Message 6 of 11 (11,018 Views)

My laptop  computer doesn't recognize my cd drive. I attempted to burn a cd ever since that the drive isn't working.

Any help!

Honor Student
grandsophy
Message 7 of 11 (9,246 Views)

Re: Pavilion 9500 Laptop doesn't recognize cd/dvd drive

[ Edited ]

Kalt- this was Brilliant - the instructions were clear. It worked like a charm and the dvd drive has suddenly emerged from the grave and quickplay on pavilion auto launches content.

Thanks SO much. btw, I am curious what the upperfilters and lowerfilters values are intended for - i had no other cd/dvd program loaded so am surprised how values got corrupted.

Thanks again.

Student
megan2011
Message 8 of 11 (7,706 Views)

my laptop doesn't recognize cd and dvd drive..... pls help

Student
Anarkus
Message 9 of 11 (3,854 Views)

Brilliant!!! The instructions were clear and the solution was perfect. Thanks
Student
SheikMabhutti
Message 10 of 11 (3,226 Views)

Thanks Kalt

I didn't have a lower filters setting so I ws worried your fix wouldn't work.  As I had already deleted the upper filters it was too late to turn back.  I restarted windows and there was my dvd drive just like the day it was born.  

Still don't have the upper or lower filters but thats ok. I guess they'll come back if I ever reinstall burning programs??

Thanks  again

Sheik MaBhutti

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation