Question

Honor Student
cslepage
Message 1 of 5 (240 Views)

Pavillion XT345 Hard Drive replacement

I need to replace the hard drive in my Pavillion XT345, and I cannot figure out where it is located.   None of the panels on the bottom contain the hard drive.  There is a panel with two screws on the front, but I cannot get that panel open.  Help!

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 5 (231 Views)

Re: Pavillion XT345 Hard Drive replacement

I think this is an old notebook. If it is what I think, you do remove the two screws and then the outside area moves up or down and then the hard drive can be slid out.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Honor Student
cslepage
Message 3 of 5 (228 Views)

Okay, I will keep giving that panel a try.

What kind of new hard drive will work in this old laptop?

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 4 of 5 (197 Views)

I really didn't look hard enough but didn't find much on it.  I am going from the fact that the top operating system on it is windows XP.  I would bet it is an older style IDE with the 40 pin connection on it.  You will probably have to settle for a used hard drive from eBay or a computer place that sells "Pulls" (Items removed from old units).  I guess I have a preference for Western Digital.  Call around once you have your old one out to some computer shops (small ones, the big box shops won't waste the shelf space for the older types) and see if they have any old drives and if they could certify the drive against the manufacturer's hard drive test or give you a 90 warrantee while you test it yourself.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Provost
Huffer
Message 5 of 5 (192 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think the xt3xx series is essentially the same as a ze4000 and ze5000 series and the hard drive is in a tray that slides into the laptop from the front as you are looking at the screen, right under the touchpad. There are 3 screws which are covered by paper or rubber covers on the bottom of the laptop. They release the tray. The drive is definitely PATA or IDE. 

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00246219.pdf

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation