Question

Top Student
jethro
Message 1 of 17 (10,446 Views)

Pavillion dv-4 shuts down automatically

[ Edited ]

I've got a HP Pavilion dv4-1412tx and it's only about 2 or 3 months old. Recently it has been shutting down on its own and that's really annoying. The fan will start making a lot of noise and then click, it shuts down. I've been searching everywhere for solutions and the most common diagnosis is a faulty fan. The thing is, i've felt the body of my laptop and it's not really hot. Also, it's quite a new laptop so I don't think there should be anything wrong with the hardware. These are a few cases where it simply shuts down on its own:

- watching videos full screen

- visiting a friend's blog with some degree of background animation

- performing the HP online hardware check. it happened during the video test where "Hewlwett Packard" randomly pops up everywhere on the screen

So, if it is the fan problem, how may I fix it? And is there permanent damage done? I really need a solution as this random shutting-down is annoying and dangerous if I'm doing work and it's not saved.

Appreciate all the help!

Message Edited by jethro on 11-06-2009 01:14 PM
Student
SIMJ
Message 2 of 17 (10,419 Views)

Re: Pavillion dv-4 shuts down automatically

Have a same problem with dv4-1114nr... dont know what 2 do

Top Student
jethro
Message 3 of 17 (10,379 Views)

Isn't this the support forum? Can someone please help me out here? I really want to know what's wrong so I can fix it as soon as possible.
Tutor
fight_with_Dv6
Message 4 of 17 (10,424 Views)

will the system reboot after shutdown?

did you see a bluescreen before it shutdown?

if no reboot, it could be a overheat problem.

if reboot automatically, from your descprition, it could be caused by the graphic card driver, you can try to update the driver.

Top Student
jethro
Message 5 of 17 (10,401 Views)

When I reboot the system it shuts down again even before getting to the user selection page. And there isn't a blue screen before the comp shuts down, so I think it's an overheating problem.

I've installed this program called Notebook Hardware Control and I've noticed the temperature rose to 50 degrees C before shutting down. Is this temperature very high? And will there be permanent damage due to this overheating? How can I fix it?

Top Student
KenEE
Message 6 of 17 (10,370 Views)

Thermal runaway will suddenly shut down the laptop. The heatsink/fan are designed to keep the CPU within safe temperature range. If range is exceeded the CPU will protect itself and shut down the laptop. Temperature measurements lag real events in the CPU. ie; If CPU unstable it will avalanche to thermal runaway and the temps could look reaonable.

Questions:

1, Does the fan change speeds (increase greatly) before shutdown?

2, Is the ehaust air very warm?

3, Does the computer start correctly after sitting for a long while?

If 1&2 false and 3 positive, suspect thermal runaway(TR). TR can be triggered by tasks. Try to locate triggering tasks/programs. It might be just one bad program sending the CPU to instability.

If some programs run well and others don't check the CPU performance #'s with the the task manager. Higher loads mean more heat.

Top Student
jethro
Message 7 of 17 (10,342 Views)

1. Does the fan change speeds (increase greatly) before shutdown?

Yeah, it does.. it starts becoming really loud and then I know it's gonne shutdown within the next few seconds.

2, Is the ehaust air very warm?

Erm, not really. It just feels kinda normal. Even the table the laptop's on isn't very hot.

3, Does the computer start correctly after sitting for a long while?

Yup, gotta leave it for awhile. If I try to reboot within 5 minutes, it shuts down again.

And how can I locate these triggers? I've noticed no particular trend except for fullscreen videos mostly contribute to the problem. Is my processor speed/RAM anything to do with this? I mean, I've got 4GB RAM and 2.53 GHz Duo Core processor so that I can multitask and use heavier programs like HD fullscreen videos etc. Am I overloading my laptop? So, how can I fix this? Does this mean that I have to avoid heavy programs? Which pretty much beats the purpose of getting high specs -.-

PS: I know some of you are thinking my specs are rubbish, but to me, they're way higher than my previous comp =p

Top Student
KenEE
Message 8 of 17 (10,055 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv-4 shuts down automatically

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your answers. From them I am willing to bet you still have the same problem. I have experienced the exact same problem on other HP's and found the problem to be thermal run-a-away of the CPU. This is caused by the thermal compound deterioration between the CPU and Heat sink that the fan cools. The lack of hot air and the speed of shutdown indicates that the CPU is operating near thermal limits most of the time. Since the CPU and Video Chip share the same heat sink I believe you will tie the behavior to increased video display (Larger images etc) and CPU activity. The solution is simple in concept but can be difficult in execution. It involves removing layers to gain access to the CPU and Video chips, Removing the heatsink, cleaning off the old compound (which will be dry and hard) from both chips and heat sink, adding thin layer of grease style heatsink compound, and reassembling. Another thing you can try is to buy a fan heat pad for under you laptop that plug into your USB port. Radio shack was selling them for $14. If the problem disappears or greatly improves you have proven the thermal issue and can decide what to do about it. Perhaps the pad will be just fine for you. Let me know outcome.

Honor Student
gorman79
Message 9 of 17 (9,438 Views)

You know a lot about this problem. My DV4-1222NR is out of warranty. When I turn it on it says that "no bootable device insert boot disc press any key." I do that it start reinstal and shurs down around 10-15 min or so. When I restart it it doesn't last this long and sometimes it just shows black screen with no prompts to insert cd and shuts off in a few sec. I ran full hard drive test in BIOS (took around 2 hours) and disc passed with no error and so did memory. The moment I turn laptop on fan is ALWAYS on high speed (in bios or when it tries to instal from cd). Also I disabled "Fan always on" feature in BIOS, which didn't affect speed. Also one time I got blue screen "Stop: C000021A (Fatal System Error)"

Please help! Thank you for your time!

Intern
JRGibbs1990
Message 10 of 17 (9,405 Views)

50c isn't hot at all for a cpu it shouldn't be shutting down at only 50c, it should reach at least 90c before it overheats, since it happens when running videos and graphics it is most likely the gpu , check the temp of your gpu , theres a free programme called gpuz or something that will moniter the temps.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation