Question

Tutor
TheMolesRevenge
Message 1 of 23 (126 Views)

Pavillion dv6 won't start after screen replacement

My laptop is a Pavillion dv6-6156ea

Recently the screen failed.

I confirmed it was a screen failure by connecting an external monitor, which worked fine.

I ordered a replacement screen, and installed it, and now the laptop will not start up at all.

The backlight comes on, and the power & WiFi LEDs light. The CPU fan spins, but the screen stays blank, and there are no beeps. When connected to the external screen, the external screen gives a "no signal" message

I tried a hard reset as described here to no effect.

I have tried powering the machine up with no RAM installed, and it gave the correct LED blink code for "RAm fault" via the CapsLock LED, so there is some function on the main board.

If I disconnect the new screen, should the laptop boot to the external monitor?

Any suggestions please?

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 2 of 23 (114 Views)

Re: Pavillion dv6 won't start after screen replacement

You don't had to disconnect the internal to project to external. 

you might have installed the new screen incorrectly.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
Tutor
TheMolesRevenge
Message 3 of 23 (108 Views)

Didn't think I had to disconnect the internal screen, just wondered if disconnecting it and starting to an external would be a way of confirming the problem was with the new screen or it's installation.

I've tried starting the machine with an external screen only, and still no result - the fan spins, the power & WiFi LEDs come on, no beeps, external monitor says "No signal"

Is there any further diagnostic I can try short of replacing the motherboard?

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 4 of 23 (104 Views)

IF it is still in warranty forgot if you mentioned, call hp.

see if theres disk activity on your computer.

I g2g soon sorry will reply to your next reply later.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
Tutor
TheMolesRevenge
Message 5 of 23 (101 Views)

I'm out of warranty - laptop is about 3 years old.

The HDD LED isn't doing anything.

I'd replaced the HDD with an SSD a year or so back, so there's no spinning up noise to listen for.

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 6 of 23 (90 Views)

You new screen is incompatible, what happened to old screen, did you try installing the old one back to see if anything changed?

Tutor
TheMolesRevenge
Message 7 of 23 (86 Views)

The problem with the old screen appeared to be the backlight - either the screen was black, or only the bottom left corner was lit.

I've tried reconnecting it, but still no response from the laptop.

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 8 of 23 (80 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think you still don't have it proper install or when you install the new one you accidently broke something?

This is technical hardware issues I recommand you to get it fix by someone but not yourself.

Tutor
TheMolesRevenge
Message 9 of 23 (73 Views)

Sadly, I don't have a local computer technician/shop I can rely on.

In the mean time, a quick parts number check if you can. My Mobo part number is 659151-001, and my screen is 653378-001. As I read the HP maintenance & service guide, these parts are compatable with each other. Is this correct?

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 10 of 23 (71 Views)

Ah, I see, where did you buy that screen from eBay?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation