Question

Top Student
scuzz419
Message 1 of 15 (17,363 Views)

Pavillion dv9500 WON'T START

I purchased the HP Pavillion dv9500 (AMD) Laptop in November 2007.  My first problem was in November 2008, then again in May 2009, and again, now, in December 2009.  All issues relating back to the same problems...  I've contacted HP in the past, once in warranty (Laptop started working again so I didn't send it in...my fault) and in May 2009, which at this time they said they had server issues and did not have any previous record of me calling (thus by this time out of warranty).  Here's my story today....

My HP Pavillion dv9500 Laptop won't turn on.  When I hit the power button, the blue lights across the top go on, then a half second later the laptop restarts...it does this continually.  Hitting F10 or any of the function keys don't work.  I do not hear the fan or anything else go on either. I've tried to resetting the memory, hard reset, etc. to no avail.  From reading online, many consumers have had a problem wtih this model, all relating to the motherboard (something about the NVidia card melting into the Motherboard).  I'm very frustrated with HP support as well as they said they will fix it for $400 dollars!! Seriouly, I can go buy another laptop instead of fixing this piece of crap. 

Anyone have any solutions?!

Sincerely,

Former HP User

Student
khanbangash
Message 2 of 15 (17,340 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv9500 WON'T START

[ Edited ]

hello Mr.,

i would like to give u some advise and it will help you solving your issue, i had the same issue with my laptop as well same model, where my screen  show different colors and wont boot into windows,

well first try take off the battery and take off the power cable and press the power button for 15 sec, and then put the power cable back in only, not battery, and try switching it on if it solve ur issue,

if that doesnt help then you need to find is where the problem is, tell me do u hear any noise like beeping, if not then connect ur laptop to an external monitor or TV, and see if u can see any thing on the screen of TV,

if that didnt help then i have one suggestion that i have applied to mine one as well and it worked for me, you have to take off the motherboard, removing everysingle device from it, plastic , processor,just only the motherboard,

heat an oven for 170 degree and put the motherboard for 3 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on another side, and take it out and leave it for a while to cool down, assemble it again, and it should work for you,

i have applied the same solution to my dell and pavillian dv9500 and it worked for me,

if u have any more issue, drop me a line on<text removed for privacy>

Regards

Top Student
scuzz419
Message 3 of 15 (17,327 Views)

Re: Pavillion dv9500 WON'T START

Thank you for the reply.  I've tried everything except the 'oven' trick....couldn't hurt.  I'll let you know what the results are ASAP.  Thanks again :smileyhappy:

Student
kdnelson
Message 4 of 15 (17,297 Views)

Did you try this "baking" idea yet?    Not sure how the physics work in this idea.  

Top Student
scuzz419
Message 5 of 15 (17,240 Views)

No I havent.  After reading the boards and the internet, I'm convinced I'm one of the lucky persons to have the motherboard fail after only two years - out $1200!!!  HP should be ashamed.  Nonetheless, I would never buy another HP product nor will I recommned to my family, friends, and coworkers!

Student
rdore
Message 6 of 15 (16,715 Views)

Did you ever try taking the motherboard out and putting it in the oven?  You are not the only that has experienced this problem. I too got my laptop in Dec. 2007 and the extended warranty that was purchased with it expired in Dec. 2009 and just this month (March 2010) almost exactly 3 months after the expiration of the extended warranty, my laptop will not come on.  The blue lights come on for a half of second and then nothing.  I have tried the upside down hold the power button for 30 seconds trick, I've tried the hold down the F10 key & press power & nothing.  I'm am a little scared to try the oven trick.  HP will not do anything for me because it is out of warranty.  They suggested that I contact their parts store to see about buying a new motherboard at a discounted price and mailing them the defective motherboard.  "Defective"  that is the key word...it is a defective part, they should fix it for free!  Every computer I have ever owned has been an HP product...not anymore!  They just lost a customer!

Student
ih-77
Message 7 of 15 (16,283 Views)

I have got the same problem as you  scuzz419. I have a laptop dv9000 series and it is just 23 days out of the warranty. I bought it 1200 euros. I called the HP support but they are the most useless people that you will ever find. They kept transferring me from person to person and kept me on hold for very long time. I hate HP!!!!!!!. I will never buy an HP again, promise!!!!! I am telling everyone about my laptop and I want everyone to know how awful HP is.

My computer was showing a black sreen with a horizontal white stripe on top of the screen and after a while it will start fading away and the whole screen will get black. It would stay on like that for a while and it will restart by itself and then the white stripe would reappeared again. It did this kind of process for a couple of times and eventually it will start Windows. But later on it started getting worse and worse and it will not start windows at all and the white stripe got into grey and coverred the whole screen and later it disappeared. I tried to connect to an external montior but it will not work, tried pressing any keys but this did not help either. When it was it the above status, it did not respond at all. Not able to go to bios or start it in safe mode. This problem started when I left my computer the whole night running, doing a virus scan and in the morning I saw and error on the screen where I had to run an error check on my computer. I don't remember what I did that morning but that's how the problem started for me.

One evening I left my computer on the whole night again and I switched it off in the morning. I did a forced shut down. When I started the laptop at work it started working and showing the windows. Now I do not see that white stripe but my laptop will not start windows sometimes, but after a shut down and restart it will load windows. I think I will try the thing with the oven. I think by letting my lapton running the whole night it did some good. That caused a lot of heat and perhaps somewhere the heat did the work.

If any of you have tried the oven thing let us know. I want to know it before I try it myself.

Student
ugin4hp
Message 8 of 15 (16,015 Views)

I also encountered the same problem. DV 9500 does not load bios and does not boot.

All leds lights. But bios does not load.

I contacted hp service and was advised to buy a new motherboard.

I think I will not buy another hp product.

The baking part? I will try it as a last resort.

I joined this forum just to post this experience with hp product.

Student
sa7soon
Message 9 of 15 (16,007 Views)

The same thing started happening to me today! Although on my laptop i was playing some music it was on around 50% battery then it just turned off. I think it might be the same problem, but it came out of nowhere. My laptop lagged for a few seconds the day before but other than that it was completely fine. Maybe i left it on too long? I hope the repair isn't $400 because that is just stupid. Does Anyone have any kind of solution to this?

Honor Student
desertranger
Message 10 of 15 (15,969 Views)

I have a similar problem on a 2-3yr old DV9500. After taking it apart to clean it due to it's running hot I connecrted all components and powered up with the batt only. The batt lasted long enough to start a boot into windows verifying that the system itself functions.  then the batt when dead.  Plugged in the power supply and saw no power sup[ply light on the side of the computer. Measuring the voltages from the PS shows 19.4v DC That's OK.  Can't check the batts voltage because I don't have the battery pinouts or a way to contact them.

Query:

I have considered that the battery is near or at the end of it's life and is required for the system to operate..

Would a dead batt have something to so with the prob?

Would changing the battery help?

Holding the battery with the slots on the bottom facing me Large, 6 small and large which one of those is Pos, neg or do they all have a contacts in them?\

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation