Question

Honor Student
wicki
Message 1 of 14 (16,923 Views)

Pavillion won't recognize USB mouse

HP Pavillion tx2120us purchase June 2008, Vista OS. Works fine but will not recognize any mice! Here are the steps I have tried and even online chat could not help:

1: Tried 4 different mice. All worked on my PC...but not on the laptop. All plug and play. It is NOT I repeat not the mouse.

2: All USB ports work for other deviices such as wireless USB modem; Media card reader. 

3:  Updated BIOS. Did not help.

4: Uninstalled drivers for all USBs...and reinstalled. Did not help.

5: Enabled then Disabled Quicklaunch buttons in startup...did not help (that was Chat's idea.... they were already disable by me prior to this).

6: Disabled intelletactics pointing device on startup...still did not help. 

7: when I do plug in the usb mice, there is a little Micrisoft "ding" that indicates it knows something is happeneing...but there is not "windows detected" message or anything. Moving the mouse does nothing. 

Now they want me to actually send this in! HELP! I may not  get this back for WEEKS. I really prefer an exterana mouse tho and working without one is agonizing. PLEASE if anyone has encountered this probpem before let me know. It is JUST with mice no other USB devices. And all types of mice that work on my other computers. I have sense it may have something to do with defaulting always to the touchpad OR there is also a pen device to use with the ttouchpad screen....however I don't know what else to do and would appreciate any help...!!

Intern
reliablepctechs
Message 2 of 14 (16,891 Views)

Re: Pavillion won't recognize USB mouse

is there an option in your bios for "usb legacy support"?  If so is it enabled or disabled?  It is my feeling it should be enabled (if it exists).

are you sure it isn't the mouse?  haha

Honor Student
wicki
Message 3 of 14 (16,864 Views)

Ha ha... Well I called a case manager and they didn't even know how to change usb legacy support on the laptop--say it canot be done (they wanted me to go bios and click on advanced tab...but there is no advanced tab on the bios on this laptop (!). So now they want me to send it in.

If you have an idea however of how I could find that legacy option please do let me know.

I apperciate the reply. In my experience I get more help from consumer forums that from tech support. 

Honor Student
SALISBURY
Message 4 of 14 (16,345 Views)

I'm afraid I can't help.  I am having exactly the same problem with my HP Pavillion dv9410us, Vista Home Premium,  except it will recognize and play at least one mouse, a TARGUS PAUM01U MICRO MINI Mouse.  I purchased two Targus PAUM004u Mice and am having exactly the same problem you are having.  The Mice are fine, they plug and play perfectly on my XP PRO Desktop, they are recognized and accepted by VISTA, but won't operate..

TARGUS has no answers and HP suggestions don't work. 

Have you gotten a solution?

Honor Student
HPinheiro
Message 5 of 14 (16,007 Views)

Same problem with my HP Pavillion DV9812US. Tried 3 different mice: Logitech, Microsoft and Dr.Hank (Yes, Dr.Hank... I'm that desperate).

When I first bought the Logitech it worked perfectly. After 3 months it stopped working.

- Well, it's probably some problem with the mouse - I though. So I got an Microsoft one wich, guess what, worked for about 3/4 months... Now the notebook don't work with any mice. Cordless or not. Laser or not. It just doesn't work, although the OS recognize and install the mouse.

Sometime, if I restart the notebook and plug the mouse it will work for a few minutes, but than it just stop working again.

Any ideas?

P.S.: Sorry about the lame English. I'm not a native speaker, but i bought the notebook in Canada, so i must use the Canadian HP Support Center. Apparently in a globalized world, it doesn't matter if the company has a local branch, you must contact the one from where you bought the product...

Honor Student
SALISBURY
Message 6 of 14 (15,991 Views)

I'm sorry, I can't help.  I do have a Targus PAUM01U Mini Mouse working fine on my HP Laptop.

If your computer is less than 1 year old HP should help under the warranty.  Good luck.

Honor Student
wicki
Message 7 of 14 (15,989 Views)

It was under warranty, and after a lengthy online session they arranged for me to send it in and they fixed the problem. It was only with a mouse, not other USB peripherals. Some bug in the laptop. Anyway to be fair they did fix in quckly and made the return quite organized and painless.
Student
wolffletter
Message 8 of 14 (14,338 Views)

same problem with notebook dv6258se on vista home premium.  tried four mice and took it to local pro who told me of this site.  weren't able to get but one mouse to work.  mostly had problems with micro mouse... does anybody have a fix for this?
Top Student
scorecard
Message 9 of 14 (13,796 Views)

My DVt4 also refused to recognize a usb mouse I'd been using for a year. I did a hard reset on the bios and now it works again. Search the board for " Laptop USB mouse" for my prior post.

Top Student
maureen10
Message 10 of 14 (13,394 Views)

I'm sure you were as frustrated as i was,  here is the solution after online chat with hp:

the problem is probably static power, here are the steps:

1. Unplug the Power Cord from Wall jack and as well as Notebook.
2. Take Out the Battery from the Notebook.
3. Hold the Power Button for 30 seconds.
*Plug in the Power Cord without Battery.
* Turn On the Notebook without Battery

4. If the Notebook is working properly then Turn Off the Notebook.
5. Unplug the Power Cord again.
6. Put On the Battery into the Notebook and then plug in.

this worked for me!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation