Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I own a HP EliteBook 2560p w/ 8gig RAM, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I don't know the current BIOS version.

On this model I can (de-)activate the touchpad and associated mouse buttons below the touchpad by double tapping a small dot in the upper left corner of the touchpad (http://computershopper.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/hp-elitebook-2560p-touchpad/...)

Stupidly this is just the same spot where I usually rest my left thumb (just below the left-click of the upper mouse buttons).

When I double click the left mouse button, the trackpad (de-)activates.

What I'd like to know is how do I PERMANENTLY disable the touchpad (w/o opening the casing and disconnecting the cable)?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
You definitely should be able to disable to touchpad in the settings. Try following these steps to see if you can find the "Disable TouchPad" option in the Settings.

Control Panel > icon view > Mouse > TouchPad Settings >

(repeat) TouchPad Settings (button) > Click-on Tapping >

CHECK "Double Tap to Enable / Disable TouchPad"

CHECK "Switch TouchPad off for one session"

This should disable your touchpad. Let me know if this does not work.

Thanks,
Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

anyone?

HP Recommended
You definitely should be able to disable to touchpad in the settings. Try following these steps to see if you can find the "Disable TouchPad" option in the Settings.

Control Panel > icon view > Mouse > TouchPad Settings >

(repeat) TouchPad Settings (button) > Click-on Tapping >

CHECK "Double Tap to Enable / Disable TouchPad"

CHECK "Switch TouchPad off for one session"

This should disable your touchpad. Let me know if this does not work.

Thanks,
Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I did what was suggested (Settings - icon view - mouse), but there is no Touchpad option at that point.  The tabs available are Buttons, Pointers, Pointer Options, Wheel, Hardware, and Device Settings.  Where do I go given these options?  In Device Settings, there is a Disable button, but I'm not sure what to highlight before I disable the wrong thing.

HP Recommended

0.  Go to Mouse setting  (via control panel).
1.  Go to device Setting tab.
2.  Select Synaptics LuxPad  
3.  click on Setting buttons,
4.  Click on tapping option (do not uncheck this option)

5.  Click on the setting button option
5.  uncheck the option.  <Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad.

🙂

HP Recommended
Accept as Solution
HP Recommended

I have attempted this fix, but it didn't work for me unfortunately...  The only options I see under "Mouse Settings" are Buttons, Pointers, Pointer Options, Wheel, and Hardware.  I do not have a "Device Settings" tab.  Please advise as to next steps.  Thank you!  🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Salazar:

Thank you for your inquiry.

I understand that you would like to disable the touch pad.

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product.. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/ .

In the interim I am sending you a link to "HP EliteBook 2560p Notebook PC
Maintenance and Service Guide" click here

I am also sending you a link to "HP Notebooks with Synaptics TouchPad - How to Disable the "Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad Feature " click here
I hope this helps.

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.