Plugged in, not charging! (5581 Views)
Top Student
Diana_Andreea
Message 1 of 7 (5,581 Views)
Accepted Solution

Plugged in, not charging!

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion dv7-1130ed, 2,5 years old, running Windows 7 and I never had a problem until this morning. 

It says that my laptop is plugged in, but not charging and the battery indicator light is flashing. It keeps flashing even if I try charging with the computer turned off (so I'm guessing it's not a software problem).

I checked the cord (computer works fine plugged in, without the battery), and the battery (runs fine on battery alone, also ran HP battery check - says it's OK, no need for calibration). The battery is at 96% right now. 

Also, if I disconnect the AC and then connect it back, it will charge for a few minutes and then go back to not charging (with the flashing light).

I'm out of ideas. Can someone please help?

Thanks

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 7 (5,546 Views)

Re: Plugged in, not charging!

[ Edited ]

"In order to reduce the number of short charge cycles and extend the service life of the battery, th...

That is why you are experiencing this. Don't worry. It is working just as it should. :smileyhappy: 2.5 years is a respectable time for a battery to have lasted. You have treated your battery well. I suggest that you run the calibration procedure.

Best regards,
erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Diana_Andreea
Message 3 of 7 (5,542 Views)

Thank you for the quick answer.

I'm kind of worried that I will let the battery discharge and then I won't be able to charge it back though...

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 7 (5,533 Views)

If it holds a charge of that much capacity after all this time it is in good shape. You would be surprised at the number of people who inadvertently mistreat their batteries and have them fail at one year or slightly more.

Best regards,
erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Diana_Andreea
Message 5 of 7 (5,530 Views)

Ok. 

Will do. Thanks again :smileyhappy: 

Top Student
Diana_Andreea
Message 6 of 7 (5,101 Views)

[ Edited ]

I did the calibration procedure and my laptop still won't charge the battery.

I'm at 7%, plugged in, not charging.

What else can I try?

UPDATE: it charged up to 86%. It took less than one hour, so I think the battery is slowly dying on me...

Student
sanrod
Message 7 of 7 (4,639 Views)

I have a HP Pavilion dv7-1130ed Entertainment Notebook PC and I get the message "plugged in, not charging", the blue LED battry light is permanenltly off. If I remove the battery while the computer is running it keeps running. If I unplug the AC power the computer keeps running as the battery still holds a little bit of charge, but it is definetly not charging. Any ideas?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation