Question

Student
hewpac-jay
Message 1 of 1 (249 Views)

Possible solution to dv6000 overheating in use

Hi, I am hoping this is in the correct section under Notebook hardware. This is about the HP Pavilion dv6000 running Windows XP, Service Pack 3 and relates to overheating when using the laptop with the N20789 charger.

Observation: Use of a different 19v power supply to the manufacturer's original might in some cases help reduce the operating temperature of the HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop. Overheating is of course a critical issue with these laptops therefore anything which could help reduce the operating temperature must be taken seriously.

I was recently given a Pavilion dv6000 in good condition but I couldn't try it out because the battery was not charged and the laptop did not come with a power supply. However, I did have a spare toshiba 19v supply which in the absence of anything else to satisfy my curiousity I decided to adapt for use with the dv6000 laptop. 

After a bit of trial and error, I found a plug in a plug-tips kit which seemed to make contact ok and soldered this to wire from the toshiba supply. This is an adequate fit in the laptop,  whereas the correct hp power supply uses a specially designed plug which is profiled to keep it held firmly in the power socket of the laptop.

The dv6000 powered up and works fine attached to the 19v toshiba supply, although it does get fairly hot in use. I am careful to allow space for the flow of air under and around the laptop but it still heats up in a way that I have not seen before.  After several days of testing the dv6000 awith the toshiba 19v supply it performed well and I just accepted that it was going to get a bit warm or sometimes hotter than I would like in use.

Yesterday I was pleased to be given the original hp power supply which came with the dv6000 and which I immediately tried out in place of the toshiba supply. The special hp plug clicked satsifyingly into the power socket on the laptop but after a short time using the original hp 19v supply I noticed the following:

1.   the touchpad of the dv6000 became uncomfortably hot

2.  the top surface of the laptop near to the touchpad felt very hot in places.

3.  airflow from the rear vent of the dv6000 became extremely hot and uncomfortable on the hand.

I therefore disconnected the hp supply in case it caused the dv6000 to overheat or to crash and rather sadly went back to using my adapted 19v toshiba supply.

Conclusion: Before jumping to conclusions this sort of experiment would need to be conducted over several different dv6000 laptops all performing the same tasks, with figures to read for CPU and GPU temperatures etc. However, this was such a startling observation that I had to report it immediately.

Both of the PSU 'bricks' get pretty hot in use. This in itself is not unusual, but the hp psu was the slightly hotter of the two. Again this would need to be verified.

In the absence of any more data, which would necessarily include data on the many replica power supplies available fro the Pavilion series of laptops, it must be said that no final conclusion can be drawn.

Nevertheless there was an impression to be had that the running temperature of the dv6000 when connected to the original hp power supply was worryingly close to component melting levels and nothing like the gentler experience I had been having with my adapted 19v supply.

Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation