Re: Possible upgrade for my processor (102 Views)
Top Student
kabrush
Message 1 of 8 (136 Views)

Possible upgrade for my processor

Hello, I am interested in upgrading my processor.

When I bought this notebook, on the bottom it was written that I had a G60-615dx (I think.)  I had a new fan put on the computer (although now I think I feel comfortable enough to do it myself).  I'm not sure what the guy who fixed it did - I think he put in a new motherboard and he told me it was better (it came with a new fan).  So now, on the bottom, it says that I have a g60-519wm.  I'm not sure whether that is better with what came with the laptop or not.  Currently it says that I am running intel celeron cpu 900 @ 2.20 GHz 219 GHz.

So I've gotten comfotable with opening up the laptop and would like to upgrade the processor.  Would anyone know which processors  would be fits for this model?  Thanks so much.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (131 Views)

Re: Possible upgrade for my processor

Here is the Service Manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02985882.pdf

The problem is you have the GL40 chipset which is designed for Celeron and Pentium Dual processors not the better Core 2 Duos. There was a user who posted a while back claiming he got a T9400 to work on one of the GL40 motherboards, but I am skeptical. Your best and safest bet would be one of the Pentium Duals like the T3400. It is almost the same as the Celeron except it has 2 cores which would make some difference. For $4 how can you go wrong?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-Dual-Core-T3400-2-16GHz-1M-667MHz-SLB3P-OEM-/140946844237?pt=C...

Even a T9400 is cheap enough to experiment with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Duo-Processor-T9400-6M-Cache-2-53-GHz-1066-MHz-SLGE5-/191192857...

I might buy one of each and try them out. If you do, please report the results back. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Top Student
kabrush
Message 3 of 8 (109 Views)

I really appreicate the feedback and the links.  I will try the more expensive processor.  It'll be a new step for me, really taking apart the laptop even more!  I'll check youtube for a video - that's what got me through the last one.  So once it's in place, it works or it doesn't, correct?  I wouldn't know how to make adjustments, or what would have to be adjusted.

Thanks,

Keith

Top Student
kabrush
Message 4 of 8 (108 Views)

The processor you so kindly provided a link for was sold!  That was quick.  So I bought this one instead, little more expensive, but let's try.  It's the same one you pointed out, is it not?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121350555652?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks.

Provost
Huffer
Message 5 of 8 (102 Views)

Yes that is the same processor. If you got to the fan you were only a couple steps away from removing the processor. Turn the locking bolt and remove the processor. Be sure to return the locking bolt to the fully locked position when you install the new one. Be very careful with the pins. Use high quality thermal compound...just a dot the size of a BB in the center of the processor core and spread it thin on the top before bolting down the fan. The T9400 is going to be quite a bit hotter than the Celeron. The processor will either POST or not; there is nothing you need to do. I would flash the BIOS to the latest version before installing the new processor. Please let us know how it goes. 

Top Student
kabrush
Message 6 of 8 (80 Views)

I had know idea about the thermal compound.  Thank you.

Top Student
kabrush
Message 7 of 8 (32 Views)

I've been waiting for a screen bracket to arrive before I dove in, and the bracket arrived yesterday.  I'm not quite sure how to flash the bios.  I went to an hp page when you first mentioned it and hit an update button that was supposed to take a couple of minutes, but just went on and on - I think that was supposed to update the bios.  Would you mind pointing me?

Provost
Huffer
Message 8 of 8 (28 Views)

[ Edited ]

Latest BIOS for G60-500 series Intel which is what you say your motherboard is:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-90328-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

If you are trying the BIOS from the G60-600 series it may not work. The board that was put in it may also not be tattoed correctly so the BIOS updates will not work. Your processor is still either going to work or not. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation