Question

Honor Student
skjade26
Message 1 of 7 (5,529 Views)

Power Cord issue with my Pavilion dv4 1225dx

A few days ago my laptop stopped charging, and then stopped recognizing the power cord at all. I took it to best buy and they confirmed my suspicion that it was a power cord issue. They plugged it into one of their power cords, and the blue light came on and my laptop powered up. So I called HP and was mailed a new AC adapter. It arrived, but when I plugged it in, the blue light still did not come on, and my computer would not start up. Thinking it was possible the other end of the power cord, i purchased the part at radio shack. Still nothing.  I'm really not sure what the issue could be, since, like I said, it powered up when using a different cord at best buy on Wednesday afternoon. Before this, the laptop did not give me any problems at all, it did not freeze, it just kept shutting itself off because it was not charged.

I'm really not sure where to go from here. Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Master's Graduate
bwolper
Message 2 of 7 (5,490 Views)

Re: Power Cord issue with my Pavilion dv4 1225dx

I would go back to Best Buy, try that cord again and see specifically what cord they used.  When it started up fine at the Best Buy, did you see it actually turn on, or did they just tell you it did?

In this forum, clicking on Kudos is a great way of saying thanks.  :smileywink:

Honor Student
no77ip
Message 3 of 7 (5,227 Views)

I am having the same issue. My power cord began getting very hot from the very beginning but I didn't think anything of it. Then a few months ago the charger became more and more difficult to connect to the computer. I have emailed HP about today because it has now decided to completely fail on me. I will try to let you know what I find out. Has anyone else had problems like these? I think hp should do what Xbox did years ago and give out replacements automatically and for free to anyone who uses this type of power cord.
Student
dclark127
Message 4 of 7 (4,533 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this issue?  I am having the same problem with my laptop now.

Thanks

Student
philnasi
Message 5 of 7 (4,083 Views)

I had the same prob what it is the DC-jack that ur power adaptor goes into is fryed or failing and about to fry with will no longer  charge it u need to send it in, (happened to me already and starting again (its this modle laptop DV4s have a lot of probs  it happens from overheating anther prob of the DV4s i am about to get a new Dv7 they are really good my mom has one best thing to prvent this is to get a cooling mat and keep the fan  off any surfaces so have it propted up or on a cooling mat till u get the money to get a new one (best bet is to get a DV7 or a GZC or GC what ever it is they are really good by HP or even a compaq cause HP owns them :smileytongue: i love my HP comps that and gateway but had to many probs with them lately

Top Student
alekshernandez
Message 6 of 7 (3,190 Views)

I had mine replaced once about 7 months after I bought my laptop.

Second one broke after 5 months. I notice that when the are hot, if you drop them the that hurts the internal components inside the brick.

I got a 2nd replacement from HP and have taken care of it. Specially when use heavily. No problems after 2.5 yr of use

y

Go to HP parts and order a replacement, is about 56 bucks. Comes with 1 yr warranty

Honor Student
power--cords
Message 7 of 7 (1,567 Views)

I have the laptop power cord,bur aftter 2 months is broken,i cut the power supply cord,i see it's so bad for c7 ac power cord, i am so angry that why the power cords manufacturer do that.maybe I change my mind.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation