Question

Honor Student
vacc73
Message 1 of 3 (1,210 Views)

Presario 700(722us) laptop cpu upgrade

I have a presario 722us laptop with a duron 1.1 socket A(462) cpu. The cpu is very tired and needs to be replaced. I found that the specs say a 1.4 cpu was available so I am curious as to know how fast a cpu ( Duron or Athlon) has been succesfully used on this platform. I realize that officially it might be 1.4 , but still, there might be faster options short of another motherboard.

Compaq Presario 700 (722us)

Duron 1.1 socketA(462) cpu

128mb on board ram

PN 470032-15

Thanks for your time!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 3 (1,200 Views)

Re: Presario 700(722us) laptop cpu upgrade

Increase the RAM before you try to mess with the CPU. That unit will take 384 mb of memory so you need a 256 stick of pc100 laptop memory. It is a Morgan core processor which means you can go up to about a 1.4 Athlon as long as it is the original Athlon series not Athlon XP. It can take a desktop processor. There is a significant speed difference between the Duron with a 128 L2 cache and an Athlon with a 256 L2 cache. At the end of the day, though you will have a machine barely capable of running Windows XP. 

Honor Student
vacc73
Message 3 of 3 (1,195 Views)

Re: Presario 700(722us) laptop cpu upgrade

Thanks for a quick response.

I keep getting messages that the extra ram is not pc133 compliant, even when I know it is. That is why I am thinking that the cpu is on its way out. IT ran xp home reasonbly good, then I reloaded the os because I didn't have admin privilages or a password, and it ran like a really big guy through mud.I kept trying pc133 ram but kept getting the same message, ram does not meet pc133 specification, the system fan would work, then not work. I have a duron 1.3 gig cpu ordered, as well as a working cpu fan. After I do those repairs I will go from there. The goal is to get this machine going well enough to use Linux and to sneak my 92 year old pops into the 21st century without him realizing it,even if it is only to play card games on line, who knows where it could go from there! This laptop is not as intimidating as desktops are, and the requirements are not as demanding. This is my first laptop, I have built a few desktops, and that is what I usually use. If the athlon will work, I already have a couple of athlon xp+ cpu's that run at 1.667 gigs from other budget builds I have done. If I could, I would use those, but I would just as soon ask a relatively silly question and save myself some trouble. Any way you really slice it, everyone's  input is good '

Cheers and thank you

Shawn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation