Question

Honor Student
fig2k4
Message 1 of 3 (759 Views)

Presario CQ61-305SA not starting

When I try to power on my CQ61 notebook, the battery LED blinks 3 times (The one with the lightning bolt). Can anyone tell me what it means? 

I've tried a hard reset but it makes no difference.  When I use only the power supply, with no battery, nothing happens at all (no LEDs).  I tried 2 different power supplies..

The CPU had some overheating problems before, but after using some fresh heat paste it was working fine for a few months.  Just in case the CPU eventually died, I tried replacing it with another known working spare, but I still have the same 3 blinks.  I also swapped the RAM for a couple of sticks that I know work.

I think I've ruled out the RAM, CPU and power supply as the problem and I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I kinda grudge binning it without trying some more. :smileyhappy:

Tutor
vertuso
Message 2 of 3 (734 Views)

Re: Presario CQ61-305SA not starting

is the a light at the ac adapter port???

- if no and you have tried another ac adapter, that means that the port its self is the problem or the system board...

- battery light blinking because battery has no charge left

Honor Student
fig2k4
Message 3 of 3 (731 Views)

Re: Presario CQ61-305SA not starting

[ Edited ]

The LED on the AC port works as it should.  It comes on when I plug the adapter in.

Also, with the adapter in, the battery LED blinks constantly as if it's charging.  When I try to power on, it blinks 3 times, then returns to the constant slower blinking again..

Edit:  After leaving it charging for a few minutes, the battery LED now stays on solid when plugged in and nothing happens at all when I try to power on.   So it seems that the blinking was because the battery was low. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation