Question

Top Student
chaucolai
Message 1 of 8 (10,546 Views)

Presario F500 Wireless not working

I know there has been topics on this before (sorry) but I'm finding it hard to go through every single post...

I have *just* (as in arrived a few hours ago) bought a Presario F500 off Trademe (a more localized & home run version of eBay) and the WiFi won't turn on.

• HP Wireless Assistant won't turn on when selected in the start menu
  • Front wireless button won't work at all (either way turns orange)
  • When using troubleshooter, it says that the network adapter/drivers aren't installed.
Going on device menu, it shows me a network adapter. I have downloaded the HP Wireless Assistant from the HP website and it doesn't come up. I have downloaded the drivers and installed it, see the picture 
What it comes up with on the drivers setting

Is it a hardware or a software problem, do you know? Will it cost anything to repair? I have just bought it, as I said, so hopefully I should be able to send it back worst case, but I quite like it and it was cheap enough for me to afford P: so I'm leery of doing so...

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (10,542 Views)

Re: Presario F500 Wireless not working

The driver you are showing there is the wired ethernet adapter. Do you have it plugged in? On some HP laptops the wireless turns off automatically when the hard wired network connection is active and you can reset that in the BIOS. Have you checked to see that there is a wireless card physically installed? Have you checked the BIOS setup (F10 as you power on) to see if wireless LAN is enabled in the BIOS?

The F500 series is subject to motherboard faiulres like the dv6000 series and the first symptom is usually that the wiress card just disappears or goes AWOL.

Top Student
chaucolai
Message 3 of 8 (10,539 Views)

Not sure I understood all of that (probably would help if I was awake) but I'll try to answer that as best as I can.

I have tried it with and without the wired connection.

I will try the F10 thing, thanks for mentioning that...

Top Student
chaucolai
Message 4 of 8 (10,531 Views)

Looked at the F10 menu (you called it a BIOS menu?)

I couldn't find any mention of wireless at all. Even going through everything, there was no mention of the wireless.

Top Student
chaucolai
Message 5 of 8 (10,521 Views)

I just read this: does anyone know whether this is the same thing? Am I looking foward to an expensive doorstop?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/laptop-support/412864-solved-presario-f500-wireless...

Top Student
chaucolai
Message 6 of 8 (10,515 Views)

It is also making a high beeping noise.

Provost
Huffer
Message 7 of 8 (10,488 Views)

My off the cuff advice is to send it back immediately if you can, with one small caveat. I am not sure if you checked to see that there is a wireless card installed in the laptop. Open the doors on the bottom. One has 2 memory chips in it and you might try reseating those. Another door will have a chip that looks a little like a memory module but it has two antenna wires connected. That is the wireless card. If you just see two antenna wires somebody ganked the wireless card and you might be okay if you get one and install it. The beeping could possibly caused by a loose memory chip. More likely it is the video chip giving out its death rattle.  That link you gave is part of the grand body of literature on the massive failure of HP (and other) laptops issued in 2007 with nVidia video; upset customers, technical explanations, etc. etc.. Trust me it is all a mess and you are better off with a different model laptop if possible.

Honor Student
ClearlyOver
Message 8 of 8 (10,108 Views)

ARGGGGGGGG!!!!!

That pretty much explains how i felt while i was trying to fix this same problem... but after reading countless different forums and talking to countless USELESS geek squad employees, and several USELESS support line peoples... i finally found a solution.  I hope this helps.

If your Presario's external piece of shat wireless card switch wont go blue (detect a wireless connection), and remains orange no matter what you do... round up 15 dollars and go to a Radioshack... or whatever electronics store is nearest to you.

DONT waste time updating drivers
DONT waste money ordering a new piece of shat wireless card
DONT waste time and money trying several different USB wireless devices
DONT waste time talking to the ignorant doosh bags that work at Best Buys Geek squad.

A little ranting feels necessary after the amount of time it took to fix this nonsense... anyways

IMPORTANT- Make sure you TURN YOUR COMPUTER OFF and REMOVE its battery before you perform ANY of the following steps... hold the power button down and drain the power fully once the battery is removed if your really paranoid.

SOLUTION- Buy a can of generic electronics cleaner, buy some cue tips, drive home.  Once home, wash your hands nice and clean, be sure to dry them as well.  Next your going to need a small screwdriver, once acquired- locate the panel on the bottom of your laptop, underneath where the external wireless card switch is.  Unscrew and detach the panel, GENTLY pull the plastic tab on the wireless card which should now be fully exposed and remove it from the computer.

Now that you have taken the wireless card out, you should be able to see the motherboard... in the center of where the wireless card should be if it is inserted in the computer, you will see a small copper ring.  Apply some of the solution to a cuetip, and gently rub it around the circle and clean the ring off.  Next take the removed wireless card and the cleaner (with the spray hosed attached), and go outside, or into your garage.  Try not to get your fingers all over the card, hold it by its sides.  Hold the card out in front of you and spray the cleaner about a foot away from the copper prongs on the wireless card, once cleaned.  Let the card sit out for about 10 minutes, duh, dont put anything wet back into your computer...

Once dry, gently place the card back where it was in the laptop, and screw the panel back on.  Turn your computer on and wah lah!

I hope this helped..

Good luck everyone and remember.... problems like these are why you don't buy a PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation