Question

Tutor
panda6072
Message 1 of 13 (190 Views)

Problem with losing connection to Wi-Fi, Network Adapter or access point issue

[ Edited ]

Hi

We've just bought a new HP 15-D014tu intel i3-3110M 2.4GHz and it keeps losing connection to Wi-Fi.  On running the Windows Network Diagnostics it discovers this issue and resets the network adapter, fixing the issue at which time I am reconnected.  It reports under Problems Found the following message; - Problem with Wireless Adapter or access point.

I've tried to look for other reasons, all lights on modem and router are working as should be, my ISP have told me they can't see any drops in connection from their end.  I've unchecked the box to "turn off wireless to save power" and looked to see if drivers for the adapter needed updating but they don't (reports the driver software for the device is up to date).

The adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros QCA 9565 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated, thank you.

Notebook product # F6D45PA#ABG

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 2 of 13 (170 Views)

Re: Problem with losing connection to Wi-Fi, Network Adapter or access point issue

Well you could try updating a driver from HP.

Since outdated drivers could be the cause

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
Tutor
panda6072
Message 3 of 13 (155 Views)

Re: Problem with losing connection to Wi-Fi, Network Adapter or access point issue

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but as mentioned in my post, I've checked if drivers needed updating and it says the latest driver is already installed and updated for this device (network adapter).  I double checked through the HP Drivers & Download page and scan for updates for out of date and missing drivers and software and it seems to scan to about 17% then I'm taken to another page with a link that goes back to software & driver downloads page so I click 'next' to confirm my operating system which then shows a long list of things to download and being that I know very little about computers, I don't know what I'm meant to be downloading or not?  Everything?  There's a total of 31 possible downloads listed (under their respective headings).

Have just rung the store that sold us this notebook a week ago and they are going to replace it as they've said it sounds like a faulty network card.  Whew.  I'm still a little confused though as to which of the downloads from HP's list I'm meant to download (assuming I'll see a similar list when we get the replacement computer) so if anyone can help me out with that, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks.

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 4 of 13 (152 Views)

[ Edited ]

So now do we wait?

Keep me updated.

Well you could download updates away from hp, like from the manufacture site of your card, though all drivers download on hp is checked for full compatible and function, hp spent a lot of time testing so we always recommand you to go on our site first then try other sites.

You may also enable windows update check for new driver.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
Tutor
panda6072
Message 5 of 13 (147 Views)

Sorry?  Wait for what... I'm just a little confused now as to which of the downloads that HP list (after confirming my operating system) do I choose to download?  I wouldn't have a clue.

Tutor
panda6072
Message 6 of 13 (146 Views)

Oh ok, sorry - for some bizarre reason, I only got the first couple of lines of your message show up on my screen the first time and didn't see your explanation under that about downloading updates.  Thanks for that.

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 7 of 13 (142 Views)

No problem  I do apologize for my slow internet and delayed replied.

Also timezone matters.

Tutor
panda6072
Message 8 of 13 (139 Views)

Your replies are coming through fast, thanks, sorry for my slow responses!... but I am going through the hewlett packard Software & Driver download page and after it checks my operating system there is a long list of possible downloads listed. For example, under 'Driver - Network' there's 8 possible downloads listed. I don't know what, if any or all I'm supposed to download from this list (sorry if I'm just being thick or something but I know absolutely nothing about all this).

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 9 of 13 (133 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thats why you should know your pc, get what I mean?

If not it means you should know what is it what it contains or has before buying it, I can't help you much you could take apart it if no warranty and check for that card.

Tutor
panda6072
Message 10 of 13 (130 Views)

Oh ok, um, I'll wait for the replacement (has a year's warranty) computer and hope I don't have any similar issues with it.

Before buying this new pc we were using a 10yr old HP laptop that never had any issues with dropping the Wi-Fi connection like this and I'm no computer technician, I looked at the computer specs before buying and researched each of those best I could before deciding to purchase.  One would think a brand new machine wouldn't do this in the first place, I've wasted a fair few hours researching elsewhere too for poss. solutions to this problem when after all it sounds like a faulty network card in it. 

Anyway, thanks and I'm still a tad confused about that HP LIST, surely the list generated (after it's found my machine etc) would only show downloads your particlar machine needs? ?  How does the not-so-computer-savvy user know from that list which to download and which not to?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation