Question

Honor Student
LuisO
Message 1 of 2 (2,589 Views)

Problems burning DL DVDs using HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L with firmware YC07.

[ Edited ]

Dear HP (Whomever there ever reads this):

For about a year (or more), there has been a firmware update for this drive, but HP has failed to release the update.  With firmware YC07, the drive used to render useless 3 or 4 out of every 5 DL DVDs which is completely unacceptable.  I had to use some open source firmware updater and a firmware dump from someone's drive with the YC09 firmware to update my drive.  Now DL DVDs burn fine always (Exactly same brand DVDs as before).   The process is pretty scary for someone not technically adept.  I even thought for a sec I had bricked my drive (Wouldn't even eject after reboot) because I didn't shut down the laptop completely and instead I rebooted for the update to complete.  Could someone in HP just release an official updater for this drive instead of making people hunt on the internet for one?

Thanks

For those curious, be warned you could brick your drive if you're not careful:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137&st=0&sk=t&sd=a <- Info on flasher

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=175 <- I asked to make sure I kew what I was doing with the drive, got an answer, worked to perfection.

Honor Student
sdc100
Message 2 of 2 (1,717 Views)

Re: Problems burning DL DVDs using HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L with firmware YC07.

Thanks for this info. I bought an HP laptop last year and you're right, the included firmware is horrible. I've basically given up on DL DVDs because it has a failure rate of 90%+. I think I only had 2 successful burns out of 20+ DVD+DLs. I tried 2 different brands, both of which worked perfectly on my desktops. Plus, it has not been able to play many of the commercial BluRays I put into it. Finally, it fails to recognize some finalized DVD-RWs even though they play in 4 standaone DVD players from several companies. They show up as blank on the laptop. Yes, they were recorded in DVD mode (not VR) and they were Finalized. I'm hoping the firmware upgrade you linked to will fix things.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation