Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Testing HPFC v0.0.2:

This program works only with selected fan slow button whre fan is approx 255rpm maybe 128 as shown on the second image.

1.jpg

1. image - button keep it silent selected - very noisy!

2.jpg

2.image - silent but not completely off CPU temp 50-52 noise is similar as with TPFancontrol by troubadix

3.jpg

3. image - fan off button selected, but fan is not off, even louder than fan slow button..

HP Recommended

unfortunately, i'm not able to see your posted images.

TP Fan Control and HPFC work the same way. 

they write values to the embedded controller registers.

"slow" writes value 128 (same as setting TP Fan Control to manual mode with value 128)

"off" writes 255, works for me, wenn set the bios option "fan always on on ac power" to disabled.

off is only possible when the fan level is set to 128 before. (no idea why)

because i don't know how to configure the acpi to allow manual controlling of the fan, the bios changes the value for fan level when the cpu reaches a specific level.

fan level != rpm

my bios changed fan levels are: 82, 74 & 65

max RPM: 5000

max bios set RPM: 4300

we need to find a "bios controll" byte in the embedded controller registers.

(check r/w everywhere, download is free -> use the "EC" button)

in the disassembled dsdt you can search for "embeddedcontrol". every 8 bit is a register in the ec !

k3mp

HP Recommended

maybe this site needs time to open images.. but

here they are again.. order is the same as in the post.

http://www.borisjankovic.com/temporary/1.jpg

http://www.borisjankovic.com/temporary/2.jpg

http://www.borisjankovic.com/temporary/3.jpg

In the meanwhile I will check the bios option for the fan.. I forgot how I set it..

ahmm.. I change the file permisions on server now.. if anyone wants to download dsdt table

HP Recommended
please chmod your uploaded files! they aren't accessable .http://www.borisjankovic.com/temporary/ shows them with 0 bytes
HP Recommended

On my Probook 4330s In TPFanControl both 128 and 255 on Manual cause the fan to run at the lowest possible fan level but not Off in just the same way as using the Bios toggle does.   I do already have the option set in the Bios for the fan to always run when on AC power turned off.

Well to be more accurate one time when setting first at 128 and then 255 on Manual the fan did go off for a moment but it then came back at the lowest level about 15 seconds later.  I know that if I did get the fan to go off I would then be bothered by the whirring of the relatively noisy 640GB Hitachi hard drive.

The only time the fan is ever off completely is when I first power up the machine from cold.  In that case the fan is off for a short while but comes on with a couple of minutes of turning the machine on and then stays on at the lowest level.

I don't know if this is because I am running the latest HP Bios for my 4330S Probook and those of you who report success getting the fan to go off completely are running a different Bios.  I have also had the back off my 4330S and the actual fan is a Panasonic model.  However I expect that's not important and what is important is the motherboard that the computer is running in terms of controlling the fan?  May be there is even a difference in behaviour between the 4330S and the larger probook models in the 4x30S series?

HP Recommended

I deassembled my 4530s and cleaned both cpu and gpu dies an reappliyed the paste "mx-4" but still the same issue.

also I found out the sothbrige chipset is way hoter than my cpu ! you can check this just by touching the left side of your touch pad!

I'm still looking for a way to kill the fan until the cpu temp goes above 70'c .

I want to send an email to hp but couldn't find any yet.

HP Recommended

Sales & Customer Service   1 (888) 999-4747 

and tell them abot this thread..

HP Recommended

Customer service persons worldwide (and especially in India) are always trained to rubbish all forms of forum discussion as having any possibl value and are guaranteed to instead stick with the officially scripted company line.

Inevitably they will claim that the piece of hardware you have is not a hopelessly misdesigned piece of rubbish that will never be right no matter you do as you had thought and will instead claim that if only you install all the latest driver and BIOS patches on the HP website all will be well.

As to any noise you complain about they will I am sure tell you that it is quite normal and nothing to worry about and that they have never heard from any customer before other than you who was unhappy about the level of noise on their HP Probook machine.:smileyfrustrated:

HP Recommended

Got a new 4530s (2350, hd 3000, latest bios) and this fan issue is just a shame.

Installed TPFC.62 as a temporary fix and the fan is allways at 128 state, in "bios" mode. If anyone doesn't know yet, fan states for this model work like this:

255 state - Fan OFF

128 state - Slowest fan setting other than off (129-254 set the same speed as 128 state)

127->0 - The fan gets louder and louder the lower the state is set in this range

Observation: 255 state can turn the fan off only if previous state was between 83 and 254. If state is 82 or lower, putting 255 in will not turn the fan off but instead will put the fan in 82 state!

What is absurd is the threshold that HP set for the fan to kick in. From TPFC i can manually turn off the fan with 255 state, but the moment cpu temp reaches 40C, bios or DSDT takes over and sets fan state @82 and stays there. I have to wait a few seconds for the temp to drop @37 or something and i can play again!

TPFC is a great tool and has a logical .ini that would work wonders if it could read HP temps and override this 40C threshold.

There is no need for 15 fan states. Just something simple:

- Temp under "let user put whatever - 50C or 60C, or 78C like the default TPFC value the writer decided on" ---> set fan state 255

- Temp reaches the first set threshold ---> set fan state 128, the lowest posibile untill now, maybe some tweaks could make the 129-254 range give lower speeds than 128 ?!

- Temp reaches 5C (or some other value chosen by the user) over the first threshold --> set fan state 82

- Temp gets lower with the fan working and it reaches 5C lower than the very first threshold ---> set fan state 128 for a moment, then set fan state 255 to turn it off.

Easy! Now who could make this work? 😄

HP Recommended

I suppose on the 13.3" 4430s one is not quite as annoyed as you would be on the 15" model as clearly much the same components are being packed in to a smaller version of the same PC case so there will be more heat than in your machine.

Even so the laptop seems to run incredibly cool and I would imagine some paranoid warranty manager at HP is now calling the shots because they got so many returns with burnt out motherboards on older HP notebooks that used to run much hotter and are now paranoid about not taking any chances on that front going forwards.. Clearly the components inside the machine ought to be able to withstand temps up to at least 60C and other manufacturers seem to spec their BIOS to trigger the cooling fan on that basis.

The only upside is I'm planning to slam a Core i7 in the machine when the get cheap enough in say 18 months to two years time so at least I will be confident that the machine does have adequate cooling to handle that upgrade.  Having said that I'm kind of regretting not having a full HD display so may be I will just replace this with another laptop say two years down the road.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.