Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've tried to upgrade the original Atheros AR9285 wireless card in a Probook 4530s with a dual band AR9462 model (HP part 676786-001) but 'WLAN module not supported' message is displayed when laptop starts and the card is disabled.  I've updated the BIOS to version F41 (sp62122.exe) and installed the latest AR9000 drivers (sp61411.exe) but no change.

Reading other posts, I gather this problem occurs as the wireless adapter isn't included in a BIOS hardware whitelist. 

Does anyone know of any links to view HP BIOS whitelists to check hardware compatibility for Probook 4530s or other models.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am in the same boat and would really just like to update my card and not have to go external. Did you ever find an answer? Thanks for any info!!!!

HP Recommended

The source for these kind of needs is the HP Quickspecs site at http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html

The information for the HP 4530s ProBook ( http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13948_na/13948_na.pdf ) shows these cards as supported

Realtek 8188GN 802.11
b/g/n 1x1 WiFi Adapter
Integrated support for 802.11 b, g, and n
Up to 150 mbps data rate

Ralink 3592BC8 802.11
a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 3.0+HS Combo Adapter*
Integrated support for 802.11 a, b, g, and n
Up to 300 mbps data rate
Bluetooth Specification 3.0 High Speed (HS)* and 2.1 compliant
Works with a wide range of Bluetooth devices

Atheros 9285GN
802.11 b/g/n
1x1 WiFi and 3011
Bluetooth 3.0+HS Combo
Adapter*
Integrated support for 802.11 b, g, and n
Up to 150 mbps data rate
Bluetooth Specification 3.0 High Speed (HS)* and 2.1 compliant
Works with a wide range of Bluetooth devices

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I am trying to install the same card, because I need bluetooth 4.0 support.  God I hate HP so bad.  There is no good reason why this isn't supported.  Except 'we are dicks buy a new laptop.'

I require atheros chipset and bluetooth 4.0.  1x1 cards exist.  I'm not asking for a lot.

HP Recommended

There is always a reason for the way things work out. For a few years, there was a requirement that any wireless device with a radio had to be certified/tested with the FCC along with the antennas. In order to provide certified wlan and other cards the bios filtered the specific id's of the tested cards. No other cards were turned enabled. This requirement seems to have eased recently and current laptops do not have that requirement - at least that is what i understand. I may be wrong of course, but i seemed to recall this being something we had to deal with with our products

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.