Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Sup guys, I have a couple of burning questions I would like to get straight before I do the wrong thing. I have a HP Compaq 8510p laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 256 and Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 Ghz (Dual core, of course). I am aware that I can upgrade to the T9500 @ 2.6 GHz, but is it possible to run a Core 2 Quad microprocessor? They both use the Socket P (I just checked my board today) and are Penryn-based. In theory it should be possible, but I want to know what I'm up against before I do go that far. Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, and before I forget: I have identified that my GPU is also replaceable but I'm not sure if it's upgradeable.  It is MXMII-based and there are a small collection of ranging GPUs that use the MXMII socket. I'm looking at a Mobility Radeon HD 3xxx series. I have heard small tales of this thing called a "whitelist" on HP machines. I'm not sure how much it applies to me, but clarification of that would be deeply appreciated, too!

So there you have it. I have 2 modular components and I need a little guidance. Thanks again! :generic: 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have not heard that the HP whitelist applies to MXM video cards, just wifi but it would not surprise me if it were true. No, you cannot use the Quad processor, of that I am sure. The Manual as you note says you can use up to a T9500 and if I were a betting man I would say you can use a T9600 (or even a T9800 if you could find one) but I am not going to refund your money if you try it and it does not work. 

MXM is not truly an industry-standard platform. This website provides some great information:

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Tech_13.html

There is a great page on things to consider before trying an upgrade. This card should theoretically work, but how much better is a HD 3650 than an HD 2600? I don't see anything on ebay that would be a super leap forward for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-3650-MXM-II-256MB-DDR3-Graphics-VGA-video-Card-Ac...

Here is a 3670:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-3670-MXM-II-256MB-VGA-Video-card-/190599995414?pt=UK_...

At the end of the day, if you pay $150 for a T9500 or $200 for a T9600 and then another $125 or so for a video card that is only a little better than what you have what have you really gained? 

HP Recommended

Thanks I really appreciate the information! Now I just need verification that whitelist only applies to Wi-Fi cards, then I'm set! Also I may have access to a T9500, T9600 or similar cards. I don't necessarily need an ATI card, NVIDIA would do, too but the info you gave me is very useful. Thanks!

HP Recommended

I bought a ATI Mobiliy Radeon HD 3650 and tried to build in the HP 8510p.

The installation is a little bit tricky.

Unfortunately, the screen is black.

The BIOS don´t recognize the HD 3650.

The Intel T9600 works only with 2,1GHz in the HP 8510p. The FSB from the motherboard  is to low.

FSB 1066MHZ ->10,5*266,6MHz = 2800MHz

FSB 800MHz ->   10,5*200MHz = =2100MHz

The best upgrade is the Intel T9500 with FSB 800MHz

FSB800MHz -> 13*200MHz = 2600MHz

HP Recommended

My contribution is a experience report, not a question :Wink:

Wich risk at a seven years old notebook?

My T9500 works fine.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.