Product Information Not Valid - error msg at start up (24039 Views)
Honor Student
MommaBear63
Message 1 of 43 (24,039 Views)

Product Information Not Valid - error msg at start up

[ Edited ]

I just received my HP Pavilion dv7-3173nr laptop a couple days ago.  The HP Support Assistant performed a bunch of updates, and now I receive the following error msg every time it boots up:

Product Information Not Valid

The following product information programmed into the system board is missing or invalid.

System Board (00A)  - Product Name, Configuration, serial number, product number

Enter - Continue Startup

For more information please visit hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Well, there is no information at that location.  After reading through several off site boards, I find this is a common problem with HP and that the recommended action is to use a HP DMI editor tool to rewrite the information on the mother board.  I am NOT an advanced user and have NO idea how to do this.  

I called HP, and after two hours all they can say is send it end.  I dont think so.  If anything I'll return the darn thing and by a Dell next time.  

Anyone here have any ideas on how to repair this thing? 

Student
Geneva338
Message 2 of 43 (23,978 Views)

Re: Product Information Not Valid - error msg at start up

I received the same computer and after using for a couple of days received the same message.  Called HP and they said infomration was loaded in the factory.  They said the only solution was to sent computer back.  They also said I was one in a million this rarely ever happens.  I decided to send the computer back to where I bought it and get a replacement.  I received my new computer on Wednesday and by Friday 6/25/10 I received the same message: Product information not valid. Called HP and was told again to send it back that I was one in a million that this happens to.  Told them that is not humanely possible.   I told them they are selling defective computers and I will send it back and buy a Dell.  I have searched the net and so far have not found a solution.  If you find help please let me know. Otherwise this computer is going back on Monday.

PhD Student
wes_notebooks
Message 3 of 43 (23,876 Views)

When this error appears, the notebook should still be able to start into Windows.  From there you should install the latest BIOS update available for your model from the software/drivers page.

If installing the latest BIOS does not work then please post the model number (if you haven't already).

-wes

I am an HP employee.
Student
Invent_truth
Message 4 of 43 (23,853 Views)

I too have this same problem on my recently purchased (6 days ago) HP Pavillion dv6-2113sa.  From my own research this error seems to occur from one of two reasons.  1,  the motherboard has been replaced and the new serial numbers have not been set by the technician.  I'm sure this isn't the case as it's a brand new laptop.  2, HP's own automated update it ran on the first boot into Windows has caused the error.

After 40mins on the telephone to tech support the chap went though the motions with me taking down info, running bios update to F.15 but nothing changed the problem.  For those who do have this problem if you check your bios (press Esc then F10)  you can see that your serial has changed to 1234567890 and (i think) product number had turned to 26ish 0's.

The technician then proceeded to tell me that the laptop would have to be returned to fix the motherboard, I told him this was unacceptable on a 6 day old laptop which led him to then told me a brand new replacement would be sent in its place and the faulty one returned.  

While on the face of it this sounds like a good idea what stops the new laptop being sent out from having the same issue? HP seem to be fine with the idea of faulty laptops being purchased direct from there website being sent to customers.  At this point the chap ran out ideas and I asked to be put though to customer complaints ....... 14 hours on still awaiting that phone call.

Apologies I don't mean to hijack the thread but I thought my experience might be of use to anyone in contact with HP with a similar issue.  If anyone has a solution to this problem I'm all ears.

Honor Student
allibear612
Message 5 of 43 (23,778 Views)

I just received my Pavilion dv7-3171nr on 7/16 and had the same issue.  Once HP Update ran and tried to update the BIOS, it wiped out my serial and product number.  That invalidated my Windows 7 license.  I didn't realize the two issues were related at first, so I just went through the Windows validation tool to fix the second issue.  It was only after reading other posts about the serial and product number switching to 1234567890 that I noticed in the HP Support Assistant it listed the numbers as such.  Finally explains the BIOS error upon startup.

I contacted HP via online chat (I HATE the phone) and now I have to send it in.  My guess is that they are going to use a DMI editor to fix the issue - I too am not advanced enough to try anything like that (and I'd hate to invalidate the warranty).  I also am hoping that the issue was with BIOS versions pre F.15 (the current version on the HP site), because I was put onto version F.13 when the issue started.  I find it strange that HP Update would not update to the latest BIOS.  I'm pretty sure I started with F.12.

SO my advice if anyone just received this laptop is to not let HP Update run until you manually run the latest BIOS update from the HP site.  My guess is that there are a few issues here (1) HP Update is not grabbing the latest BIOS update (2) previous firmware updates were buggy and wiped out board information (3) HP Update is possibly unable to handle running BIOS firmware updates properly and breaks the computer when it tries to do so.

The fact that some HP Support people are saying this is a one in a million issue is HILARIOUS (I am glad my technician did not try to say anything like that).  The issue started without me doing ANYTHING to this PC.  I started it up, it asked me to run HP Update, it randomly turned off (presumably because of the BIOS update) and then the error started.  Sounds like a very recreatable scenario to me, unless some laptops are being configured incorrectly by a human being and that is the underlying issue.

I will post back here once I get my laptop back so I can let everyone know if they fixed the issue or just provided a bandaid.

Very disappointed in the driver/software quality from HP.  Previous laptop was a Gateway and I never had any issues like this.  I also have built 4+ PCs and never broke them like this... maybe I should change careers...

Student
asmorodnikov
Message 6 of 43 (23,720 Views)

Have the same issue with HP Pavilion dv6-2120sl.

Error has appeared after running HP Update software.

Has anyone found a method to fix this message without returning notebook to vendor?

Honor Student
allibear612
Message 7 of 43 (23,627 Views)

I got my laptop back from HP today and it appears fixed.  BIOS is on version F.14 (I find that interesting!  Why not F.15, the version on their own support site?).  I can't tell exactly what they did.  The info sheet that came back with the laptop only says that they "repaired/replaced" the system board, battery, and thermal pad.  They did not do a disc wipe, which is nice.

I'm not going to try to update the BIOS to version F.15, don't see a reason to based on the release information.

Based on the above, they have a hardware solution for this issue, so you can't get around sending it in.

Honor Student
ares0943
Message 8 of 43 (23,593 Views)

[ Edited ]

Can you please help me? 

I already upgrade my BIOS, it seems still doesn't work.

S/N: [text removed for privacy]

P/N: WQ687UA#ABA

I really dont want to send it to factory for 3 weeks. Thanks!

Honor Student
allibear612
Message 9 of 43 (23,588 Views)

as stated above, none of us can figure out a way to avoid sending it in, as it appears they do hardware fixes to resolve the issue.  My laptop was there for 9 days, not 3 weeks.

Honor Student
Godders77
Message 10 of 43 (21,649 Views)

I have been using my Pavilion dv6-2113sa happilly for 10 months. I haven't had any repairs or updated the BIOS.

Yesterday, HP Support Assistant ran as it usually does, the hourglass on the cursor flickered madly as it usually does, then the computer suddenly shut down.

On reboot, Product Information Not Valid and my serial is 1234567890 and Windows 7 is saying it's not genuine as the original poster's problems.

Well sounds like it's going back to HP.

I'm going to disable HP Support Assistant from checking for updates as soon as it's back, that's for sure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation