Question

Tutor
panda6072
Message 1 of 3 (140 Views)
Accepted Solution

Proper charging of notebook battery for HP 15-D014tu Intel i3-3110M

Hi, I know this subject has been discussed and there is a lot of information online about it but it's all just left me confused.  My question is what is the correct way to charge/discharge my new notebook's battery.  Do I charge it to 100% then take the charger out and let it discharge to 40 or 50% then plug back in and then recharge back to 100% or say 80% (like I've read online?)  and then again, take the charger out and let it discharge back to 40 or 50%?  If this is the case it seems like I'd be doing this all day long (taking charger out & putting back in).  Is it okay to leave the charger plugged in?  I noticed (when leaving charger in) the computer reaches 100% and stays there (always says fully charged at 100%) - the old laptop I used would say 90 something % and not charging but this notebook doesn't seem to do that?  Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (132 Views)

Re: Proper charging of notebook battery for HP 15-D014tu Intel i3-3110M

Hi,

New smart charger and smart battery will stop when 100% full. Battery has its life, depending on the number of charging cycles (and its usage). Vendors normally quote 300 cycles (that why 1 year warranty comes from). Many batteries will live more than 300 cycles, only reduce its capacity. I did a full test for exactly two machines (Dell E4310's). The first one sat on a docking station all day, everyday and the second one which did not sit on a docking station. After one year, the one which was on the docking station kept more power than the other one. I will find the results and post the numbers one day.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
panda6072
Message 3 of 3 (126 Views)

Re: Proper charging of notebook battery for HP 15-D014tu Intel i3-3110M

Hi, thanks for your reply.  So what your advising is to just leave the charger plugged in to the AC outlet and notebook all the time and it won't do the notebook or the battery any harm?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation